The battery builders club

Honestly at this rate, we should all just go rob a Molicel warehouse GTA style and use our esk8s as getaway vehicles.

4 Likes

Retest IR at least three times, removing and reinserting the cell each time. If the results are not within a milliohm or two each time then they’re just too inaccurate to help unless those cells are verrrrrry far apart in IR.

You can press up against the bottom charger contact a bit when taking IR measurements to help with consistency

1 Like

@Battery_Mooch I have a question.

Say the IR and capacity and discharge curve on both those cells are identical. Surely, it means they are the same cell? The odds that there is some black market factory making fake cells as good as Molicel are slim to none. Am I missing something? Lifecycle perhaps?

1 Like

Check my previous post. :grin:

1 Like

Here’s what I got:

I’m doing the capacity grading test now, whenever that’s done I’ll do a load test on the Kunkin. Just have to prep some nickel and magnets that can handle the load.

6 Likes

dat label :joy: :+1:t2:

5 Likes

The legit battery should be the same voltage as the others no? AFAIK, charge level effects IR

1 Like

Looks like they’re all about the same DC IR range.
I’ve gotten about 16mOhm-18mOhm in my tests.

Ideally, yes, they should all be at the same SOC. But considering the wide variation in the IR readings I don’t think the small changes in the IR due to the charge level will affect things much.

Certainly worth checking if possible though.

2 Likes

TBF, we already know the IR of the legit batteries so probably not worth the hassle.

1 Like

Alright, well I’m grading the capacity of those cells now, which may take some hours since the VC8 charges them, discharges them to measure, then charges them up again before the test is done.

However given all the unknowns here, this doesn’t seem like the “fresh and genuine” claimed on the sale page. And I’m not going to put these into a 12s5p Prototipo for another person without being confident in them. I’d rather eat the time and hassle and negotiate with the person to go with something like the 40T3 cells that are available currently.

Here’s the page:

2 Likes

I hate to be that guy, but check those carefully too.

4 Likes

Even from 18650BatteryStore? :flushed:

2 Likes

No, good point, was assuming that the 40T3’s were coming from M&A. :grin:

1 Like

Ah, understood. :pray:

I sent them an email with my concerns and a link to where I started this discussion in this thread.

I’m hoping they’re amicable about it and it doesn’t have to be an issue.

2 Likes

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you. :pray:

And thank you and everyone else for the help and information.

3 Likes

This is likely the last installment in testing the P42a cells in question. Charger finished grading the newly received cells, and the known real cell is still charging.

Results for the 3 tested cells show 1,636mAh, 1,780mAh, and 1,799mAh.

A bit off from the expected capacity…

3 Likes

Yeah… just a few percent off. :rofl:

2 Likes

Is this from 2.5v to 4.2v? Even the real one seems too low capacity.