The battery builders club

Been building packs for a while, finally started selling them to fund more personal builds since I just can’t scratch the itch enough these days. I’ll get pic of the actual welds next time, I had to get these out asap. How does this pair of 40T packs look?

3 Likes

The crossed balance wires may be a bit of a concern with vibration and abrasion…

2 Likes

I try to cross them in the spaces created by the cell arrangement gaps so there is no pressure on the crossing and they’re all taped down. If I’m worried about the spot specifically, I’ll tape the lower wire down as well.

3 Likes

I thought that might be the case. Good work

3 Likes

Check each cell internal resistance, and mach them up…good luck with your build…

1 Like

Hey all, been doing some cell research. I currently have a pack using 30Qs, they seem by far the most popular choice. Then I read these spec sheets:

Samsung 30q after 300 cycles is 2200 mAh capacity.
The molicel p26a at 90% after 500 cycles (how?!) is 2340 mAh.

I know a lot of people got shafted on these with an imrbattery sale, but has anyone else used these and can speak to their longevity?

Can’t say about the Molicel, but 30Q is a cell designed for power tools use, not for long life, I saw some tests that after around 500 cycles they simply die, no mater how well you took care of them

The truth is, 500 full equivalent cycles for our use is still a lot

3 Likes

Dismantling 2 evolve batteries. The plan was to pull them all apart, join the cells in parallel and then back into series to make a charge and ride pack. One cell out of my old GTX was puffy and a little bit split so my dreams have been shattered :pensive: these batteries smell real strong when they are split open.

7 Likes

Anyone got recommendations for waterproof alternatives to fish paper?

I would think a tough plastic sheet like PC or PET would be good but does anywhere sell this with adhesive backing?

Yes I know its not fire resistant, but once your battery is in thermal runaway what your insulator is made from is the least of your worries.

3 Likes

I bought some “pull” cells that had what looked like vinyl black stuff around the positive. With rather strong annoying PSA adhesive. So yeah it exists.

i occasionally use those thin cutting boards from walmart to wrap my packs… they cut easily with scissors and are cheap… using between each group would add up as it isnt paper thin but it is quite thin…

6 Likes

It’s not cheap but I wonder how something like this might work. Nice that it is rated for high temp.

thats a little thick…as a former chef, in baking they sell a “silpat” which is similar to that but thinner… u can get those at walmart as well i believe… very flexible, has some grip, high temp and for sure super non stick lol

3 Likes

I would say it works finally. Channel 2 might be broken, but holy cow is that out of balance.:laughing:

3 Likes

ewww voltmeter double check. sorry about ch2 :frowning:

I checked the voltage with a voltage meter then, before more goes wrong.:sweat_smile: And a another point is, that the balancer on ch2 is faulty. Main connection is ok.

1 Like

Has anyone had any experience with this bms?
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/dQHMIsEG
I am wanting to put it in my build. I am currently running crappy evolve electronics and am having breaking issues, so I am changing it all out. I am currently running a 10s4p 30q battery pack. I would likely use a unity vesc if that matters.
Would that bms be a good choice? I would prefer to not bypass the the bms because my pack seems to get unbalanced rather quickly.

Hey I just want to shout out @thisguyhere for being super transparent and cool.

He accidentally over discharged my pack and has already ordered new cells :smiley:

If anyone is looking at these threads and they want it done in the US by a pro, he’s your guy :wink:

7 Likes

I haven’t had any experience with it myself and am thinking of getting one as well.
I’ve seen it pop up a few times here, but there’s also a large thread on Endless Sphere about it: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=88676
Would recommend reading it a bit, while not only the one you’ve linked is discussed there, they do primarily talk about it.

Wow, that is quite the read! I think I will order one and see how it goes.
Would you or anyone else have a good wiring diagram for what I am trying to do? Coming over from lipos, this is quite a bit more complex.