The battery builders club

what cells are you trying to weld? I remember the P42A’s where hard to spotweld for some reason, maybe the same thing for those.

1 Like

I guess I’ll stick to copper since it’s easy to find

I stopped using the spring part and just use it to keep the probes apart

Nah I have a pen thingy I got on eBay

Pretty much brand new, 60C each 5ah each

P42A and yes they’re really annoying to weld

1 Like

I think this is just the truth more than anything… I’ve had some difficulty with them as well. Makes me wonder what the steel can might be alloyed with or maybe there’s some kind of coating.

2 Likes

I miss how easy it was to build with the Model3 and 40T

3 Likes

What is your short pulse set too on your malectrics, its odd that you are having such a hard time, normally if my lipos are fully charged 40ms is too hot and almost burns through .15 nickel

1 Like

I’m getting material to rip off at 50ms. The Nickel is .2mm. All fully charged. I’m going to modify my tips tonight and try to bring the pulse length down

Get a laser welder it should work :joy:

1 Like

that sounds awesome, I wonder if it’s feasible. Paging styropyro

3 Likes

Yeah I sharpen tips after every pack maybe half way through.

4 Likes

https://m.made-in-china.com/hot-china-products/Battery_Laser_Welding_Machine.html

Source: trust made in china bro

1 Like

I wish. But there’s VERY few people here that a machine like that would make up it’s programing and setup time compared to a kweld and just getting to it manually.

The P42a cells are indeed a pain in the ass to weld. Oddly enough, the p26a aren’t bad at all. But I did always have much easier welds doing Samsungs and Sonys.

@jack.luis If you want, I can send you a spare set of the cable setup for the Malectrics if you want to go that route.

2 Likes

Weird, I have never had any trouble welding P42A’s. @jack.luis have you benchmarked a weld to see what current and voltage are getting?

1 Like

I haven’t, to me the weld sticks or it doesn’t lmao

Give it a shot. My benchmark’s are around 500A and 4ish volts.

1 Like

i could see one of those being useful if you build batteries for a spesific board as that way a single program could weld all of them

1 Like

Welding .3mm is a bitch. I can barely get 12 welds before the electrodes start burning my fingers. Welding at 100J now and welds are a bit hot on the surface but it’s the only way I can get enough penetration.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Dang lol I’m about to do a pack with 0.3, 10s5p. I wonder how much I’ll have to stop. You say 100J to get proper adhesion?

Do you solder those tabs to the pcbs too? I can’t let myself trust the welds to the pcb.

1 Like