The battery builders club

Go to the top of the thread.

Read thread.

Watch some youtube.

Ask specific questions after that :+1:

7 Likes

I would read the thread if it was shorter. And I am asking because I alredy have some knowledge about battery packs so I am looking to improve on that and try to make one.

Sorry dude but I don’t think it’s wise for you to be spoonfed information about this. Do your own research and then come at us with any specific questions that are still bugging you.

7 Likes

Dont worry I can handel it, I wouldnt ask if I cant.

This is not the right attitude to have. It is a worthy investment of your time to do all the research you can to ensure you have a safe and functional battery in the end. Reading is your friend and I suggest you embrace it.

5 Likes

You intend to build a massive battery, which should be fun to follow. But to get relevant assistance, you really need to narrow down your help request.

So suggest you:

*Share your intended goal for battery output/range
*Show the deck and enclosure you plan on using
*Tell more about the cells and where you sourced them
*Share what kind of drivetrain you have in mind
*Tell us how you plan to use your board

3 Likes

Hi @NeonHuzo

Is there a reason for it to go with such a big pack but choose that low capacity cells?
Which cells you have in mind to use?

12s15p is about 9kg just for the battery which is a lot and you need to have the space on your deck for it as well.

1 Like

@KfromtheBay I know it is a bad attitude but I perosnaly dont have enough time to read throuht whole thread. I am fighting for my engineering diploma and have a job. So if I would read whole think with out puting myself into overdrive by insomnia it would take a lot of time (about 2 months with out jokeing around), I bearly found time in last 6 days to read throught whole thread about Cheap FOCer.

1 Like

@BillGordon and @Andy87
First reason for such a big battery pack. Well batterys them selfs I dont wont to worry about current draw to kill them and also the range of my e-longboard.

Cells I soruce from local shops that sell the batterys, people come to them and drop off old batterys and battery pack. In the build I am going to use mostly batterys from pack of the old e-bikes, hand held drills and so on. And of course me and my friend take care of them, mesure the voltage before chargeing them to know witch ones are realy for recycleing and witch ones are for upcycleing. While chargeing we watch for heating of the batterys and if they heat up fast and relatevly hot (around 50 C) we recycle them. And finaly capacity testing. And this cycles are made about 3 times for each cell. And ofcourse self discharge.

For the drive train I am still thinking (price is the problem).

Deck I still dont have but I am planing to make one from plywood ( laminated wood :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:) . That will come after thinking drawing and designing the battery pack, building the ESC (Cheap FOCer) and makeing the decision about motor.

And lastly. Sorry for so many ands. Board is planned to be used as everyday cruse board that is capable of going a long distance and (if needed for adrenaline boost) top speed of 55 60-ish km/h.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my enaglish.

4 Likes

Was my first thoughts that you will use used cells.
The problem I see is that it’s very likely that one of the cells will go bad dinner than later which can take down one full p group which than is no fun to replace on such a big pack.

I still think that 9kg is way too much for a regular longboard.
Let’s say the best case would be 12s15p 2Ah that would be about 1200Wh and 9kg.
With degreasing performance you will top out at 1000Wh probably.
That equals a 12s10p of Samsung 30q or Sony vtc6 cell. And you save 1/3 of the weight.
No worries about the discharge there as well it’s more than enough.

2 Likes

The post helps us understand where you’re coming from. But imho there are some fundamental disconnects. Issues that could be worked out but would require a lot of research and experimentation (and time).

Sooo, tbh, I don’t think you have time to build this thing.

Some of the things you’ll have to learn are why used mixed cells are bad in this application, and what you would have to do to make it work anyway (and evaluate if it’s worth it for you). In which dimensions monster packs are usually not a good idea. I think if you stay with huge pack, you’d have to go to other EV forums and maybe powerwall forums.

Good luck either way, it’s all super fun thinking about, designing, building and using this stuff.

3 Likes

Ah I should also say, personally I spent more time learning how to build the battery pack than anything else wrt to building a diy. Well over 50% of the total. I’m still learning stuff!

5 Likes

I am not plannig to use mixed cells. I will try to put in parralel same cells. Maybe I will change my mind after I find time for this project and reading throught batterys datasheets and thread. First I will try to make physical desin for battery pack that would be easy to modify. Then will source as much as I can store at home test them around 3 times and mesure inner resistance for each cell.

Still a 12s15p is huge and heavy and need the right deck to make sense at all.
I don’t know your plans but you will not get this pack in an enclosure under your deck. Not without 7-8“ wheels as minimum.
Means you will need to go with a split pack (up and down the deck) or fully top mount.
@Lee_Wright you just made a 12s10p pack, right? Maybe you can post a picture here to show the size of the pack.
@NeonHuzo you will need to add 1/3 of that pack and than it’s what you want to put on your board.

1 Like

12s13p… any bigger and i would have to go double stack :rofl:

14 Likes

Man that’s a huge battery! What kind of range are you getting?

Lol approximately 2meters per day :rofl: build is still in progress but the battery comes off the shelf most days to be shown off or measured or whatever :rofl:

The esk8 calculator in my brain is estimating about 70km range… the optimistic skater boy in my brain is hoping for 100 :rofl:

5 Likes

That must be heavy!!!. Are you planning to jump over stuff with that deck, like getting decent air time? Total kWh?

1 Like

Maybe a little jumping but nothing large. This is gonna be a long range, go anywhere board. Total wh approx 2225

5 Likes

This would be battery arrangment in 1 series.

This would be 2s

And this is how I would connect them in the case half of the parralel conections would be fliped so first iteration would have + in the front (please go to the first pic) and then polarity would -.

Would this be any good???

2 Likes