The battery builders club

A straight-stack layout like this is inherently weaker than a stagger-stack, because the cells have, at most, 4 points of contact with their neighbors vs. 6 points in a staggered layout. There is also a lot more air space in a straight layout, so your glue has less contact with the cells around it. In a staggered layout a very small amount of glue can squish into all the spaces and makes the brick very rigid.

All that said, you can still definitely make a straight layout work, and it will almost certainly be strong enough. You just might need more glue.

Cell holders pretty much negate everything I said here.

4 Likes

Yeah I think i go for the way i painted it, I need the extra room on the long side for BMS, Fusebox and other things. :+1:

1 Like

I want to be able to switch the power source from the main internal pack to a temporary backup box pack on top. What are my idiot-resistant switching options without having to open the enclosure every time I want to swap in the backup battery?

Edit: most relevant thing I’ve found is 300a solenoid relay used in golf carts, which is wildly unpractical for this application.

1 Like

Y Splitter from vesc to each battery with 2-4 loopkeys, and lots of focus to never actually connect them in parralel

1 Like

can anyone remind me how place a voltmeter so the loopkey activates and deactivates it?

Are your ESCs in the same enclosure as your main battery?

If they’re not (as in a split enclosure for example), you could just have a connector on the cable from the battery to the ESC, and then disconnect that and connect it to the other battery.

If it’s all in one, the best bet would probably be to have two loop key ports, arranged so that you have to pull the loop key out of one (disconnecting the main battery), before installing it into the other one (connecting the spare).

Some clever sliding/pivoting/moving cover over the loop key ports that makes it physically impossible to have two keys plugged in at once would also be a good idea.

Or you could use a handful of fets and a switch, and do like this circuit, but it’s quite a bit more involved:

(replace “motor” with “ESC”)

1 Like

Two ports one key looks like the most feasible approach, because increasing the safety also ups the complexity considerably

1 Like

Like this

6 Likes

Bootyful, TY sir!

1 Like

Question - are the BMS lines on the left side of the image soldered to the negative connection of the braided wire? I’ve used braided wire as well but am unsure where to make the BMS solder connections? I thought all BMS (except the negative main) are soldered to the positive battery terminal.? Maybe I’m getting my + and - confused in the image?

Thanks.

It doesn’t really matter, it’s between the cells so the positive of one is the negative of the other. Typically you’d do the negative side for safety (no voltage potential)

3 Likes

Hi guys,

I’m dialing in my malectrics welder, and trying to find a sweet spot. How do these welds look?

Left is 17ms and right is 19ms.

3 Likes

Too hot, the welder should not be poking holes in the nickel.

3 Likes

Ok thanks man! I’ll get a few more in and turn it down. I started at the 26ms that malectrics recommended and was working down.

1 Like

OK, I think I understand. You basically have 13 braided strands and 13 BMS wires - the location for the soldering of the BMS on each strand doesn’t really matter

1 Like

DIY fume extractor. Tube runs to 134 CFM carbon/hepa filter. Initial tests work well.

The portion above the desk is quickly detachable too.

17 Likes

Ooh nice! Now my dual fan setup feel insufficient :sweat_smile:

What’s below the desk?

3 Likes

It actually makes a turn and goes about 5 feet across the wall to the filter. Does three things:

• Frees up space under the desk
  • Prevents exhaust drafts from stirring up fumes
  • Reduces noise at my desk

5 Likes

How do you guys fasten your batterypack inside of the enclosure? Should I make a wood frame or something?

4 Likes

I just used lots of adhesive and fiber tape to wrap everything up, then packed the enclosure (in my case a pelican) with the provided foam so that the battery doesn’t move around at all. Others may do it differently though.

4 Likes