The battery builders club

From 0.04 to 0.01 voltage diff in about half a day.
Does wonders this smart BMS.

1 Like

Just curious…why balance at such a low voltage?

2 Likes

This is a new pack and it was a one time balance. Actually it has a daly bms and I hooked up the smart bms to test it and calibrate the cells before I left them with the daly permanently.
I had cells from two different batches, that’s why the difference in voltage.

2 Likes

You’ll just rebalance them when they are charged?

1 Like

Yes, I’ll remove the smart bms and reconnect the daly, which will do its thing as usual.

2 Likes

I know I should and what I anyways try to do, but it messes up my spacing (ask the wires go into a file so I need them already in or I can’t bend them right). Is it safe to do out of order or do I have to do it in order?

It causes all sorts of funky currents to go thro the electronics the rong way, might survive but defiantly not good for it.

Get some sort of BMS dummy replacement to Hold the connector in the right place. Bit of wood and hot glue a socket to it would work.

2 Likes

Damn, I’ll see what I can do

Anybody have data on these? Might have to order some for science

6 Likes

would be interesting to see how they stack up against the 35GA cells

2 Likes

My same thoughts

Where was this posted?

18650batterystore newsletter email

1 Like
3 Likes

I went ahead and ordered 4 to play with on an electronic load tester. Will report back

4 Likes

I’ve got a pair on order along with the new 40T3.
My guess, based on the M50A’s performance, is that the M35A’s will also test out in the middle of the pack.

6 Likes

Sanyo GA is a 3350mah, not really 3500.
edit : same for Samsung 35E as soon as you discharge more than 0.1A :smiley:

1 Like

Quite finished, hope it still fits the enclosure after it gets the heat shrink wrapping…

This cell layout is not my favorite one but it was the best suited for this enclosure. Also, with the BMS in that position, the balance wires disposition is not so clean as I would like but at least every crossover is protected with klapton tape.

Images

4 Likes

Kapton tape is not abrasion resistant. For crossing balance wires you need to use fish paper, not just kapton tape.

I’m also worried about the nickel folded over the positive end of the cells.

It looks like you used 18650 sized fish paper rings, and didnt tuck any extra fish paper under the nickel before folding it over. If that’s the case, then there is a scary chance that the nickel will wear through the cell wrapper on the shoulder of the can and cause a dead short.

3 Likes

Those are very good points, thanks for the feedback.

Good catch, should have noticed that, indeed 21700 sized paper rings would eliminate this risk. The nickel tabs don’t touch the shoulders, they have like 1 mm space from the cell corner but still this is not something I’m comfortable with. Definitely will have this fixed…

Thanks.

2 Likes