The battery builders club

Weird issue where the wheel was super pressurized and half the wheel was scraping on the battery.
Is there a way to fix out of round VEGA wheels? Or just replace?

Tomorrow I’ll crack the battery open and read cell voltages. He said that he left it for 3 months then it didn’t work, so at least it wasn’t riden to death. Hopefully that means the cells are just below cutoff. Not sure why it wouldn’t charge then.

Came with new bumpers that’s nice.

4 Likes

Yep def rough up and clean the ends of the cells, makes it way easier. Here is my method with only a 60watt iron, albeit with fused links instead of nickel.

3 Likes

Just took the “broken” Onewheel out for a ride…

unplugged the battery every cell was at 3.6v, plugged it back in and upon reassembly and power on it was working normally.

Got the app board has only done 150 miles.
@marsrover

3 Likes

So you got a basically brand new one wheel for $400?

2 Likes

That is correct I guess. I just finished my third ~2 mile trip. I’m trying to get it to show whatever issues it has.

Only problems is it is not reporting the correct battery voltage (just says 100%) in the app when I turn it off and back on.

2 Likes

Nice! That’s basically fully charged, so give it a 0-100 cycle a few times to get the actual battery health. the lifepo4 cells are super durable, but given the age I’d expect 5 miles range max.

As for the tire. Max recommended PSI is 20, going higher gets you more range, but harder to ride. There are many tire replacement options on the market, most people like the burris racing treaded tire. Personally I have a local onewheel shop that sells those tires, so I got a free used vega once. Much as I like the treaded, free is better.

2 Likes

yes I’m thinking tire upgrade is the best thing for a ultra cheap working used onewheel. The wheel doesn’t scrape on the battery anymore after reassembly, but I really like the aftermarket tire look. $70 is reasonable ish as well.

I’m a little confused as to what problem the seller was having, and how much effort he put into solving it.

psi as close to 20 as I could

The battery lives

5 Likes

10s4p 30q… much respect to the balance wire gurus out there, that shit is tedious :rofl:

15 Likes

So I just finished glueing together all the p groups and I was wandering if I need fishpaper, kapton or another type of insulation between the p groups?!

15703553328324681893293931481293|666x500

Fishpaper between the p groups is never bad.

1 Like

But it’s not necessary? Why do you need it in the first place?

The body of most 18650 cells is the same metal as the negative terminal. If due to vibration and what not you wear through the insulation, you’ll have a direct short circuit, as if you touched the negative terminals of those p-groups together.

3 Likes

If there was enough vibration, the p groups could rub against each other until the thin wrap on the cells wears through… big sparks, much fire :fire::fire::fire::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:

4 Likes

It’s necessary if you want to minimize chance of your board burning up. Small price to pay both in time and money to protect pack against damage from abrasion.

1 Like

Is normal electrical tape also good?

Fishpaper resists mechanical abrasion fairly well. Electrical tape, kapton tape, whatever tape, do not.

5 Likes

I don’t know where you are located. Is it difficult to get fishpaper? I could Check shipping and sell you some if that’s the case. If that’s not the case… https://www.145ptags.com/adhesive-backed-fish-paper

Good quality, decent price. Shipping time was reasonable as well

1 Like

Getting hold of fish paper shouldn’t be a problem, it’s just that’s inconvenient having to order and wait after having ordered everything else for the battery, but thanks for the link, will probably order tomorrow.

1 Like

You were pretty much spot on. I put 50 miles on it in two days. 2-3mile trips mostly.
Ran it down for ya, this is combination of riding on very flat and carving the grass hill next to the road/pathway.
Most of it was pretty hard thrashing. It seems to have full capacity.

Trip and before and after charging.

Thats a nice score right there! Plan on doing any upgrades to it?

1 Like