The battery builders club

Yeah I was going to add on the that post I think since the Battery works 100% a parallel kit is perfect.

I actually have 11 4Ah lipo cells I wasn’t planning on using but it’s the perfect thing the pair with a $10 CC CV module. An extra 130Wh would double the range. I’d like more like 20 miles range ish, but this will be a good test and I could just switch the battery out for a bigger one.

Also tire upgrade + 3d printed flight fins + and I might try to make urithane footpads for it.

1 Like

Not sure why I posted it in the pictures thread. Please call out anything that seems off.

I tested wires for continuity before hot glueing them in. Used a credit card to smooth the glue lines this time.

Also left some slack in the wires where they’re connected or bent around a corner.

3 Likes

Lol those batteries are huge :rofl:

3 Likes

I had to order 240mm flat diameter PVC shrink tube to fit around each 5S! :joy:

1 Like

So it should be holding 2.5-3ah. I’d give it pretty good bill of health. Download ponewheel and onewave to get access to individual cell level voltages. I’d expect maybe one cell to be lagging a little, a 24hr charge should help balance it. Good score, now get to modding it.

1 Like

Making progress:

Still looking good? I used the Sunkko 737g, could only do 2p/70% without blowing the fuse. The test with a cutter blade and nickel looked good with these settings, small welding points but no burn marks on top and a visible ring on the underside of the blade. Could not tear it apart either without ripping the nickel. I compensated the size of the welds with quantity (obviously :D)

2 Likes

What’s going on with the pvc wrap around those cells? You may want better insulation between p-groups

1 Like

Oh, thats Kapton. The battery will be a flat pack, P-groups will only have contact on the sides with the fishpaper and addictionally divided by a TPU printed spacer. After I soldered the serial connection I’ll also shrinkwrap each group, should be sufficient isolation from each other :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m familiar with kapton. My comment was more in regards to the shrink wrap not completely covering cell. But it’s good that you plan to use fish paper. I hadn’t noticed it in the pic. My bad!

1 Like

Its a bit unusual, I know :smiley: I’m reusing cells from two NESE compression pack batteries and for those I had cut the shrink at the negative side to prevent cutting pieces of it when pushing them in :slight_smile:

This is how i buid mine

17 Likes

balance wires looking niooooce

2 Likes

thankyou @DJ4se

1 Like

How not to build batteries

3 Likes

uuu that is not looking nice

2 Likes

that’s a guaranteed fire ball

2 Likes

How does this connection look

And is this connection enough for a 12s3p?

I would be worried about series current running through these spots

Edit: if the tabs from your cells ran all the way to the other side of your busbar strip it would be a lot better

2 Likes

I didnt think it would matter much because off this

I could do something like this

3 Likes

For piece of mind i think that is the safest bet :+1:

2 Likes