The battery builders club

any random junk?

1 Like

I’ve got one of those huge irons.
In the winter I can actually see it glowing. It’s ungainly and a liability but you can get the heat down soo quickly.
Still doesn’t compare to the new toy though.

4 Likes

I got this POS for like $25AUD

It’s literally done thousands of joints, i’ve left it on for days at a time, and the thing just keeps powering on

10 Likes

k nice will look for one locally or on amazon
thanks

1 Like

I just splashed out on the same iron as @BigBen, it’s coming tomorrow and I’ve never been more excited to receive a soldering iron in my life.

I’m also a little ashamed I spent £370 on a soldering iron. But shhhhhh, don’t tell the Mrs and we are gravy.

9 Likes

Quality item.
You can tell her Q made you do it.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Haha. Just bought the same one :ok_hand:
About a month ago

3 Likes

A turnigy bolt hi volt.

1 Like

Does that shit means its fucked?

So far that is the only one like this in the batch, Voltage is consistent with the rest of the cells .
I noticed some stuff under the wrap and here what I found

2 Likes

ok thx just noticed my lipo only has 50c discharge and yours 130 peak tht explains why 0.2 are too thick to weld for me :slight_smile:

Ill upgrade to the same battery thx very much!!!

1 Like

My man!, the community thanks you.

5 Likes

The ts100 with the c-4 tip is perfectly capable of creating some super nice solder connections. I use this iron too and get very nice joints.

Solder nickel like this.

1. Clean iron tip
  2. wet the tip of the iron with a small amount of solder
  3. Press the iron tip to the nickel and wait for it to heat it up
  4. Feed solder between tip and nickel
  5. Wiggle the puddle of solder around until it’s spread out nicely
  6. Success
  7. (Clean flux residue with IPA)

(If the nickel doesn’t take solder very well try scratching it up and us some extra flux)

3 Likes

I have this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H2CQC4G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_87P3FD805QCNRXSNCVG7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

is 60w enough for me to make a battery?

2 Likes

I posted that auto soldering gun here somewhere, how do you like it? I want to make an attachment for the ts100 that is like that.

What are you soldering? Are you working with someone who is welding your Pgroups?

3 Likes

I have one hand free with it. I love it! soldering 10 guage wire to form series connections onto nickel strip thats folded over the battery body and connected to the top with spot welds

1 Like

thanks @simeon really helpful. got some nice joints now and will post pics.they look pretty good but not certain

1 Like

k these any better
i put lots of heat and solder and am measuring 42.5v

9 Likes

those look much better. :ok_hand:
42,5V total is 3.54V/cell on average. That sounds healthy for a new pack that hasn’t been charged yet.

4 Likes

k perfect thanks if those look good enough i will get those on all of them and then look into balance leads
thank you

3 Likes