The battery builders club

I hope the welding issue isn’t from it being from the new cells, am gonna buy some later next month

I bought these cells in August.

Edit.

Big ass spark, little black hole. This cell is donezo right?

I’ve thrown away sooooo much nickel today fuck.

Also I think a blew a hole into two cells. Heard a pssss sound and a funny smell. God FUCKING DAMNNIT what changed this is like my 6the battery build WHAT CHANGED

@Battery_Mooch please tell me I don’t have to unglue all these cells. They still show the voltage they came with.

4 Likes

Kweld?

malectrics. Its either too cold to stick or so hot it makes magic smoke (I hope that’s not what it is).

Tried more times. Cleaned the tips. 45-50 no stick. 55 blew through. I have no way to tell when it’s going to blow through or when it’s going to work. And everytime I try I risk an entire P group because getting this glue off is next to Impossible I might as well make a new P group. I can’t trust test on the 40T because it’s acting so much different than the p42a when it comes to welding. I have lost all hope I cannot work anymore tonight I was really hoping to get all the welds done tonight but I guess not. I’ve done thousands of welds before this is the first time this is happening to me I am completely and utterly dumbfounded. This is for a client and it’s already late and I’m freaking out.

1 Like

Just a very friendly reminder :sweat_smile: Balance wires touching each other will make fireworks :fireworks:

Please isolate all the balance wire ends and only solder one at a time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can we get video of you trying to weld on those cells? making me nervous with how hard you are trying without good results.

I think we should have multiple battery building threads for:
Welding help/tips (lol)
Balance wire/series connection management
Overall questions- this thread

1 Like

I’m already getting high. I’ll try again tomorrow

4 Likes

Yup, that cell is NFG. Shitcan it (safely, insulate the ends - It still has enough energy to be exciting if it gets shorted by something).

I don’t understand why you change weld timing, not joules. On Kweld the weldis short but powerfull.

I’m team TS100 too. The c-4 tip rocks :smiley:

Just saying the TS80P is more suitable for field operation because it runs of usb c PD

7 Likes

Because the malectrics welder doesn’t measure in joules like the kweld does.

4 Likes

That’s what they want you to think.

HOLD HOLD HOLD

1 Like

Have you seen the Pine64 Pinecil?
Dual power - Type C (QC AND PD), and a dc barrel jack.
And it takes standard TS100 tips.
And it’s cheaper.
And it has a silicone sleeve for your fingies to grip.

Fuck, I really want one even though my current station still works fine.

3 Likes

@jack.luis id be keen to see a photo of your entire welding setup.

I have also been having issues with negative end on some P42A but they went new cells so that kinda rules out a batch issue. My assumption was that it was caused by the welder probes but that was before I knew others had the same issue.

What tips do you use? What battery’s you using?

1 Like

NEVER TRY TO SPOT-WELD, CHARGE, OR USE A CELL THAT HAS A HOLE IN IT!!!

Cells are sealed, and must remain sealed, for really good reasons…

1. The liquid inside, the electrolyte, is made of organic solvents and evaporates easily. This makes the cell useless as the electrolyte is how the ions move around.
  2. The electrolyte is FLAMMABLE and can ignite if there is a spark from the spot-welding.
  3. The electrolyte smells terrible and is TOXIC and the fumes must not be breathed in.

Start ungluing. Avoid contact with any liquid that has leaked out and clean your hands and the pack thoroughly if liquid has gotten on anything.

Recycle the damaged cells but wrap the ends with a couple layers of tape to prevent them from short-circuiting on anything,

10 Likes

Hi Forum, I’m working on a modular battery and will probably use bullet connectors for connection for space reasons. on a 12s 5p molicel p42a pack , would i get away with a 5.5mm Bullet Connector on a 10 awg cable to put them in series or do I have to go bigger? I have to save every millimetre to make it all fit.

Thanks

Seb

What output plug and wires do you plan to use?
If xt90 and 10awg than 5.5mm bullets and 10awg will as well work as connection between the groups.

that’d be perfect! But your question make me wonder what a different case would be? Is anyone going bigger than xt90 on the output?

I’m currently still trying to squeeze in the 8mm Bullit but maybe that’s not necessary then?

It happens, but not very commonly on esk8. Usually you see bigger connectors on high powered ebikes, or other heavier, more powerful vehicles. (I’m using 8mm bullets on my ebike)

Maybe, maybe not. What is your maximum intended current draw? That determines your wiring and connector sizes.

1 Like