The battery builders club

I wouldnt doubt you for a second, @oldman :kissing_heart: I think it may be possible to re-use that crimp, but personally I wouldnt. If you do, then maybe drop a tiny bit of solder on there to make sure its not going to come apart again.

Haha… Its too tiny for my oldman eyesight! To be continued at a later date.

1 Like

Thanks I think that’s the same bms.

1 Like

Recentely bought the specialized crimping tool if @oldman need a couple of wires could do it for pretty much free and send it away in an envelope goes up to 2.00mm but gotta make sure thats the case

Edit: it is 1mm to 2mm

1 Like

What do ya’ll think of the Samsung 35E battery?
Is a 10s5p enough for 2×6374s?

1 Like

Hey thanks for your offer! I am so far undecided how Im going to proceed.

1 Like

Up to you :grin:, BTW the offer is up for anyone so dm’s are open

1 Like

Depends how many amps you plan to pull. If you are doing more than 20 battery amps per side (40A total) then you are probably going to see significant sag from those cells. And if your cells are sagging, it means that you are getting poor efficiency out of them.

1 Like

What exactly does “sagging” mean?

Depends on your “enough”.
Enough to move you on the board? Absolutely.
Enough to take full advantage of the power handling capabilities of dual 6374s? Absolutely not.

When you apply a load to a battery of a given voltage (let’s say it’s at 4v/cell, so 48 volts overall), the voltage will drop depending on how much current is drawn, and the internal (chemical and mechanical) characteristics of the cells.

With a large load and cells that aren’t designed for high discharge like 35Es, the voltage per cell will drop significantly - maybe 0.3v/cell or 3.6 volts overall. Once the load goes away, the voltage will rebound back up nearer the starting voltage.

Because you are pulling the same amperage at a lower voltage, you’re getting less power to your motors than if your cells only sagged 0.1v/cell.
Also, all that lost power didn’t just magically disappear. It’s converted straight to heat, inside your cells, which is not a place you want extra heat.

5 Likes

Ah, ok got it. So to be safe I should set the motor max no higher than 20a? Otherwise heat and boom=new board. Also, what should the voltage be for a 10s5p w/35e’s?

1 Like

Might not mean boom but you would be shortening the life and range of the pack. For voltage, you should look at the datasheet of the cell, as different chemistry’s use different values.

Most often 18650 and 21700 lithium ion cells are charged to a max of 4.2 volts per cell, and discharged to around 3.3v for esk8 use. Low current applications like portable chargers usually go down to less than 3v, but in our case, it’s safe to stay above 3v.

For a 10s5p of 35E cells, the max charge voltage would be around 42v and low voltage cut off should be around 33v. 35E cells are technically rated for 9.8A continuous and 14.7A peak, which with 5 in parallel should output 49A and 73.5A, but thermal performance and capacity suffers at that much current.

What you should do if you take the 35E route is set your battery max to 20/-10 and motor max to ~60/-60 on each ESC, as this will give you better low speed torque, but still limit each ESC from pulling more than 20A.

A better option would to do a 10s5p 30Q pack, which would allow you to pull 80-100A, and to set a battery max of around 40/-12 and motor max of 60/-60. 30Q cells have around 14% less capacity, but they sag a lot less than the 35E which will probably balance out to around the same range. This pack should be more suitable for 6374 motors.

One thing I’m not sure if you mentioned or not is that if you are using a V4 hardware ESC, they are usually thermally limited to around 20-25A anyway.

1 Like

Awesome, ya’ll have given me some good insight and things to think about. Thanks guys/gals!

2 Likes

Where’s the fun in that?

As my old mentor used to say, “take chances, make mistakes, and get messy!”

2 Likes

Yeah but when the chance is for +3% range and the mess is your battery loosing capacity, is it worth it?

1 Like

The capacity loss is far overblown in practical use.

Besides, when cells are designed to be “empty” at 2.8v, why wouldn’t one use them that way?

If you’re considering 3.0-3.3v as empty for the sake of not losing capacity a couple of years from now, then in practice you’ve already given up the capacity.

I’ll just rebuild my batteries when they’re spent and when I can afford to.

2 Likes

Realistically you get a lot less power and range out of that last 0.3v, if you look at the discharge curve it’s not really worth it. I personally set my batteries to run low so throttle at 3.1v and stop at 3.0v but I rarely get that low, mostly it’s just so I don’t hit the voltage cut off in cold weather

5 Likes

I don’t really expect power and range when I’m at that point, I’m just trying to get home having not found a charging spot or misjudged ride distance.

Rarely do I ever ride below 20%, and I find myself riding less in the cold as the years go by.

We all make our choices. And I choose to be able to ride a mile at 5mph to get home without carrying my board. It’s usable capacity, and I choose to use it.

I just don’t buy into the idea that sacrificing usable range of a battery is worth it, because the capacity is either gone after 500 cycles or gone right from the beginning.

It depends on the use for the board, if you ride a board every day as your main mode of transport to work then you want to treat the board with care, and that extends to the battery…but if you ride for shits and giggles then squeeze every drop of power out while you still can

3 Likes

LOL there are guys that don’t charge past 4.1V per either. I soft cut at 3.35 and hard cut at 2.9 but that’s mainly to prevent a low voltage cutout and to eek me home if I was dumb enough to not be close when I hit the soft cut.

2 Likes