The battery builders club

Hiya just planning a build. Would it be more cost-efficient to buy a tab welder and do up my own battery or pay someone else to do it? If I wanted a 10s2p 40T pack and I could get the cells for about $100, how much would it cost to have someone else build me the pack with a charge only BMS?

If you don’t plan on making a whole lot of batteries for yourself, then you probably wont see a huge return on investment from getting your own spot welder for one pack. If you want to make sure that the battery is made right, then paying a pro is usually safer.

I just PM’d you with a quote for a 10s2p 40T pack.

4 Likes

Gutting and rebuilding an Evolve Bamboo GT.

Pack is mostly done, just waiting for a BMS that will fit.

Reprinting the spacer, sticking a Unity in there that I’ve had for a while, and swapping to the Propulsion Boards motors. They’re quite nice.

3 Likes

Does this layout look correct? Building a 4s1p battery pack for my drone, just want to make sure its proper.

4 Likes

Looks good to me!

2 Likes

Thank you.

Yerp.

1 Like

It’s happening.
Using the auto feature is way better than the foot peda

6 Likes

Why?

2 Likes

I do the welding standing and finding my footing to hit the pedal while holding the tips was hard. On auto I position one tip. Position the other and wait a couple seconds. It really went by so much easier.

I am so close now…

13 Likes

To the dudes that can make these balance leads look all pretty and shit.
Mad props to you.
Shit is hard and I can’t even…

14 Likes

What are you on about, those look beautiful!

5 Likes

So…I opened up my enclosure to find this:

2 Likes

I need ro know what shrink wrap I’m gonna need and where to get it from to re-shrink this pack up once I’m finished with the repair. I can repair the damage, and I think I can mitigate future problems.
This is a 12s4p40T pack. Need to know what size shrink wrap and where to get it

1 Like

This is why I put foam between my pack and enclosure on top and bottom

1 Like

Yup I totally agree. I did not build this…I bought a complete used. A little disappointed to say the least.

2 Likes

220mm shrink wrap is what I use, but i would not say that you need new shrink wrap. Unless there is damage under the wrap that you need to fix, just tape over those holes with something abrasion resistant (my go-to is gaffers tape) and make sure that whatever cause the abrasion gets fixed.

Edit: looked closer at your pictures and I see the bare copper. Yeah, take that wrap off and fix that. 220mm shrink.

2 Likes

Ok thanks…yes bare copper in as many as 6 locations. I was thinking wouldn’t it have been better to route the balance leads into the valleys of the cells rather than right across the top of the circumference of the cells?

1 Like

Or Velcro.
Adds a bit of padding and holds it in place.

2 Likes