The battery builders club

Link please? My Xtronics 3020 is dying on me and I need something new

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002N7S1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QxMKFbRS68VES?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

There is one xD

1 Like

Screenshot_20201022-221700

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The BMS and wiring is not finished, but 6 packs with 2s5p.

1 Like

Is it normal for a cell to bulge a bit after peeling nickel off of it?

How buldge exactly
?

Kinda like this

Normal? Absolutely not!
Does it happen sometimes
yes.

But it is NEVER a good thing! It can weaken the internal spot welds to the bottom of the metal can and could also indicate that you have torn a hole in the can. Take the sniff test (the liquid inside stinks) and carefully inspect the bottom with a magnifier.

Why does the pink wrap on bottom look separate from the rest?

3 Likes

Yeah you probably pulled axially too hard when you removed the nickel, I personally would say it’s fine if it doesn’t smell, maybe press it down again if you can?

1 Like

I spent a 5 minutes or so sniffying my batteries and I don’t notice any stink; is it subtle or would I know immediately?

mm I think it’s because of the angle I took this at; its a bundle of 4 in the picture.

In my experience the electrolyte (liquid) has a very strong, distinctly chemical odor. Sort of a sickly sweet paint thinner type of odor. Hard to describe but very obvious.

3 Likes

its okay for now then? assuming I don’t notice any smell later

I don’t know the internal condition of that battery. I’m just not able to say it’s okay. Not smelling anything means the can is probably still sealed though.

1 Like

For an LTT smart BMS in bypass, what values are important to change?

3 Likes

You don’t have to change anything. But I lower the balance start voltage and make the cell delta smaller. Also usually the initial charge/balance I go up to 4-4.1 and then unplug and switch static balance on to fully balance for the next day to week depending on the pack capacity.

1 Like

Nice, lol.
You will know right away if it leaks or not while pulling nickel. Like “oh snap, what is all this smelly jizzum?” at least, that’s what I thought when it happened to me the first time

You’re salvaging cells, so it’s never going to be like a new pack, but if you’re careful and employ good construction technique and material, it should work fine for a while, and is great practice. I got a couple recycled packs from earlier this year running around that are working great
 so far
 more cells than I care to admit had THE BULGE. yolo :v:

(Edit: here you go)

1 Like

That’s reassuring :smiley:

I’ll be very careful as usual

(This is the Android app, but the iphone app has equivalents of all these settings. Some of them are just called slightly different things)

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks dude!

1 Like