The battery builders club

Hope this is the right place to post this.
I recently bought a used (~10 cycles) 10s5p 30Q battery pack (before I learned about the quality control issues on the more recent packs from the builder :eyes:)

The pack seems to be built with double stacked 0.1mm x 8mm nickel for the p-groups and four strips of the same nickel for the series connections.

The battery lead connections are obviously not enough, just 1 strip of nickel. How would you guys recommend improving them? Do you guys see any other serious issues?

1 Like

Weak solder joints, bottle necks from super low nickel mass and poor layout, no accommodation for flex, no parallel group insulation, messy balance leads, cold weldsā€¦dude thatā€™s sus at best

5 Likes

Is it worth trying to salvage?

I am of the current opinion that salvaging batteries sucks, if you have a lot of time it can be done but the amount of money you save is hardly worth the time so you gotta be hella bored for it to be worthwhile

10 Likes

So this failed after 3 welds. Iā€™ll admit that I didnā€™t use a high C battery, but malectrics just worked fine with the same battery. Got all my money back from banggood right away. I guess they knew about the problem.

Just ran Malectrics for the first time. Works perfectly. Now I can cross ā€œspot welderā€ off the list of tools I wanted to have.

7 Likes

Honestly it would probably run okay, some sharp corners and touchy welds, itā€™s not the worst Iā€™ve ever seen but coming from a builder specifically it is a bit poor attention to details

Is that a single stack 0.1x 8mm pack negative? Youā€™d want to check out the conductor thread to see what you could safely pull through that. Hard to believe the pack negative is connected like that

I remeasured and the negative is actually double stacked 0.15x8mm. Should be acceptable at 35A continuous according the the chart on the conductor thread. I donā€™t plan on pulling more than 50A peak out of it, so Iā€™m hoping it will be fine. I will of course be keeping a close eye on it.

Hm yeah just be careful and pad the pack well in the enclosure. Iā€™d make sure to have foam on at least top and bottom to make sure it minimizes vibrations. Iā€™d also add some kapton or fiber tape over the negative lead to keep it in place better.

1 Like

I built another battery in July using the @ApexBoards 12S Smart BMS and it hasnā€™t gone night night yet, so thats goodā€¦

5 Likes

Is this some kind of word puzzle because I canā€™t get my head around it
Cells are pointing north you can use folded nickle. Cells facing (Sideways)east to west you canā€™t?

That sucks, but thanks for being willing to take the leap on a new product!

1 Like

why no fish paper on those overlaps?

2 Likes

wait we need fish paper over overlapping balance wires? :flushed:

1 Like

Cus no need. Never had an issue with overlapping wires before

Edit: unless of course you mean fish paper under the tabs which again, no need. The tape is between the cells and the tabs and then wrapped again

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna take a punt here and say thatā€™s a tiller pack?

1 Like

:sweat_smile: yep you guessed it. Shoulda just thrown down the $500 for a new battery from one of the builders here instead of spending $200 on that thing. Oh well, not the most expensive mistake Iā€™ve ever made :upside_down_face:
Iā€™ll use it for this fall and then buy a new battery for spring.

2 Likes

Fuck, that is some horrible soldering. I think it might be worth salvaging if you want to stick to that size battery

1 Like

I mean if you pull it apart and clean all the cells (that means the ends ground clean, all with intact shrink wrap, and all at the same voltage) I can put it together right for $272 and shipping, you would be sitting just at the $500 mark or so

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry that you have been taken advantage of. @Psychotiller is a fucking rogue, and needs to either stop making batteries or start doing it properly.

Pull your fucking finger out Dave, youā€™re a disgrace.

7 Likes

Is it possible to make a folded pack like this with folds on both top and bottom or is this a bad idea?
Lime is 0.2mm nickel
Dark green is copper braid
Orange balance wires go under the others in a fishpaper sandwich

Direction of travel is north
Thoughts?