The battery builders club

Haha not my choice to make

clearly it needs to be 14s. :smiley:

Iā€™m doing 12s2p in the first part of that formation. is that considered weird? is it just the distant p-group bit thatā€™s weird?

1 Like

Haha he sent me a 13s BMS so heā€™s getting a 13s battery but yeah 14s would have been a little neater

The 12s block is not bad at all, a little bit of work to do the folded nickel the way I do (all folds on the same side so I have a spot to solder balance leads too) but other than that itā€™s easy

@MysticalDork itā€™s too small by a hair for that, the cells are too long (only works with 18650 cells)

@kook itā€™s perfect for a 12s2p 21700 pack though

Bah, foiled again.

that was my second thoughtā€¦ untill i took out 4 P42Asā€¦ just an RCH too smallā€¦

can verify

Why did they choose that massive BMS?

1 Like

Its an 80A discharge BMS and the cells are rated for 45A a pop

why does anybody sacrifice valuable pack size for a stUUpidly huge BMS?

2 Likes

I mean for my boards I have enough space to go from a DALY bypass to a LTT smart bypass so I think thatā€™s a worthy upgrade, but I will never go for a discharge bms

1 Like

iā€™m looking at pogo-pins and a magnetic connector to take all the battery charging rig-a-ma-roll from the place where the zoom-zoom cells go

2 Likes

I donā€™t use my boards enough to justify the extra range, I would rather the extra $40 per board for the convenience

1 Like

everybody should make boards that suit them

4 Likes

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out but make sure you have something separating those pgroups. You donā€™t want current flow to create hot spots due to the nickel touching each other and separating along the long red line. Same with the rid circle i drew, drop a good bit of solder there, because if you have copper come togther and separate as ride vibrations and flex happen, curent flow will be redirected and intensifies as the copper strands come together and separate. You want to make sure the current only takes the path you want it to take, not any other accidental path the battery may create for itself as your deck flexes and ride vibrations happen.

1 Like

I would say the total opasit. Hot spots would only happen if you had potential difrence. If your series links were undersized. Electrons flow in the path of lease resistance making hot spots would mean you have a lot of resistance in your series links

Adding solder there will add a brittle point on the most vulnerable part to flex more likely to cause fraying

4 Likes

Hmm, I think the best course if action would be to not do the X all together. But it may work just fine, anytime you interrupt curent flow, you create heat. It is probbaly nothing to worry about in this application, butā€¦juss sayin lol

1 Like

Iā€™d use a fukkton more flux on those joints, make sure I wasnā€™t using solder wick (looks similar) most know they can eliminate solder creep with hemostats or the like and carry onā€¦

@jack.luis didnā€™t you post pix of silicone wire for series bridging ?

why switch to thin braid?

isolation between groups that are intended to be joinedā€¦

iā€™m 60-40 againstā€¦ there are reasons for both

What cells? P42a should not be used at 45s continuous

2 Likes

Uā€¦meā€¦and the m00ch agree

1 Like

iā€™d have gone 12x3 vs 13x2 and fukk that BMS

Yeah, but thatā€™s what they are rated for šŸ¤·

Personally I wouldnā€™t push them that hard, I go by the word of Mooch

1 Like