The battery builders club

If you can get a guy to send me a custom heat sink, I will run my motors until I can toast food on the ESCs

Or get me water cooled motors and I’ll make a boiler off then

2 Likes

fuck you’re taking all the fun out of this

you suggested it… we’re running with it

you do it… no good deed deserves to go unpunished

1 Like

If I can’t have fun, then you shouldn’t either :kissing_heart:

But I have seen some boards that will definitely cook food

1 Like

fun sucker

1 Like

Too many works, you should just combine them

1 Like

ok new idea light weight short range board with a charger in the enclosure, and a plug on a reel… just a bar-hopper… ride till empty…drink while recharging…

rinse and repeat

1 Like

I did that for a while, I set up the brick charger so the wall to charger wire would come off and I’d plug it in at the dining hall and back of class all the time

Nickel board deck
10s2p fake 30Q
KooWheel hubs
Unity
2a charger

It needs a switch on the brick to BMS line though, it keeps sparking in the wall

some of my brick-chargers do that… tiny sparks… not like full zap XT90 jolts
i plug into board first… stop and think (this is very important, as NONE of my boards have similar chargers, it’s a nightmare, but I digress) some times i get little sparkys from the wall outlet and some times from the board outlet

kind like i static-discharge from scrubbing your feets on carpet

weird

some don’t do it

1 Like

The nicer chargers I have never do it, only the cheap Amazon ones

nope…

The absolute best 12s 8amp charger does it with 20 amp outlets male/female… and some of the cheap 10s 2 amp ones don’t

2 Likes

so I guess it’s random at some point and possibly there is some design crossover at some point that allows it???

maybe @MysticalDork has a clue about this

Pretty much all switchmode power supplies have big capacitors on the input and the output, and it’s the inrush (or outrush) that causes the sparks.

Nicer ones have inrush limiting, or can get away with smaller output caps because they have less ripple, or other little tricks to prevent big sparks.

1 Like

I had a feeling you knew… and had a feeling it was capacitors… at that point I tapped out and summond you… thanks buddy…

one other ???

me personally have never worried about it… thought about it, yes… but worried… hell NO…
and I realize sparks are never good… but I have a 12s 8 amp charger that does it everyonce and a while and you cannot even see the spark marks on the barrel…

Sometimes yeah but I’m new also… I only bought it for the individual group info

The sparks from the charger have a LOT less energy than the ones from say a lipo being plugged into an ESC. Less peak current, lower duration, just less all around.

2 Likes

yeah it’s like a small static discharge lots volts but no ass or amps behind them…

like you can spark off a gas pump

1 Like

go time
the hummie must live

5 Likes

Do you have a while pelican case for your kweld?

1 Like

haha, yeah the battery and kweld fit nice there

3 Likes