The battery builders club

Cheers dudes. @Andy87 they are 20700s but those holders you posted look great.
@deucesdown original plan was to 3d print but my print bed wasnt big enough to print the whole layout and I will save a decent bit of space without it .

Already glued P groups together, im gonna wrap the p groups in cloth tape conforming to the curves and then glue them all together. Once glued there should really be no movement so i reckon the cloth tape will be fine.

3 Likes

I donā€™t get this diagram.
Where is the plus from the second pack going?
And the minus of the 3rd and so on.

That orientation looks over complicated and wrong. Itā€™s as simple as going + to - for each series connection

@Andy87 I agree. Each cell pack has a positive and negative terminal side. You need to be using both of them.

4 Likes

Worth every cent.

4 Likes

Definitely a wise idea to get peopleā€™s eyes on working diagrams.

1 Like

Yo can we keep this out of the battery thread

3 Likes

Trying some thing a bit difrance with my series connection by trying to ring them to avoid any fraying ends what people thing going for a 10s 3p with 3 layered of 0.15 by 9mm Nickle (i now think was over kill with ther series connection like this) 15 by 1mm (6mm2) tined copper flat braid (itā€™s going in a Tayo :potato:)

I am always concerned when using flat braid for any series connections personally.

Especially on flexible packs. They wick a lot of solder and become quite brittle. The micro vibrations from our boards often time end up breaking overtime.

Silicone wire for serial connections FTW!

8 Likes

For sure man. The flat braid is a pain but Iā€™m hella basic and use it because I like the way it looks and how it lays super flat. Iā€™ve only built Rigid/Stiff packs thus far but am concerned about the vibes. Will probably be moving to 14ga silicone in future

1 Like

I have no intentions of letting my board flex 90deg itā€™s a spud with a fibreglass enclosure so parity stiff and the solder is localised weā€™re the batteryā€™s toutching so thereā€™s a good 25mm of with out solder if it has wicked hence why it bends so much. What Iā€™m undecided on if I put some Fisk paper between the series connection to alow it to rub better with out doing any dame to the solder or braid over repeated movement the down side is it will increase the resistance a tiny bit but that braid is rated for over 100a in that configuration so I donā€™t think it would add any resistance if I did that.

Anybody every try potting an entire battery in silicone or polyurethane?
Thoughts?

Seems like it might suffer under itā€™s own heat but if the battery is properly sized it may not be an issue. The thinking is to eliminate vibration and water concerns.

@Sender does this, and itā€™s greatā€¦until you have to work on it :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

it takes SO MUCH solder to properly soak copper braid. i mean, thereā€™s a reason why solder wick is essentially just copper braid.

the way i use copper braid is itā€™s attached to pcb and i soak the hell out of it with solder so itā€™s pretty damn secure.

11 Likes

:point_up_2:
I agree. Braids are safe if you use the right amount of solder.

3 Likes

I like this. I plan to build my first battery next esk8 season. this build is really clean and easy to follow for a noob.

Just be careful flopping big pieces of braid around a battery. I learned that the hard way

4 Likes

you havenā€™t built a battery if you havenā€™t had a heart stopping explosive short without expecting it.

/r/gatekeeping

13 Likes

And so easy to solderā€¦

@drone001 make your life easier and use silicon wires

3 Likes