The battery builders club

What thickness?

You have to be hitting it fairly quickly, or hard, to get through it? You donā€™t feel resistance, is that what youā€™re saying? Find just about any other material that is that thin that provides that much resistance?

I want to be buried with a roll of kapton tape. I love it that much.

I also use it as a 3d printing surface. I found 10" wide tape.

2 Likes

Abrasion scenarios are highly variable regardless. Dependant on material contact and types, mechanical force and source, etc. I work primarily with abrasives for a living, machining steel and titanium, with large machine tools, and I can promise you, even the industry accepted standards for wear resistance like CATRA are highly contentious because of how complex the science is.

Either way, empirically, I can tell you that 5 mil solid polyamide is tough shit. Iā€™ve got plenty of mil-surplus kapton wrapped silver plated wire on hand, and itā€™s thinner than the tapes. Like mylar, once you get to a certain thickness(thin-ness), it damages easily because of material fatigue from vibration and constant movement, as the material is quite brittle and essentially work hardens as itā€™s constantly compressed and decompressed, this makes total sense why it would fail in aircraft, although itā€™s not really a question of abrasion resistance in the normal sense. Itā€™s nothing like the thicker stuff.

Either way, nobody has to use it.

Thereā€™s also stuff like this, which is what used in applications where cost isnā€™t the primary factor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nomex-410-Insulation-Paper-10-mil-0-010-5-each-8-x12-Sheets-Aramid-Electrical/264721937932?hash=item3da2a8360c:g:gYgAAOxycmBSsJho

I assume we wonā€™t have to debate the abrasion resistance of kevlar? :stuck_out_tongue: (Just ribbing ya, itā€™s a healthy convo weā€™re having IMO)

Pretty cheap, surplus prices of course. Itā€™s $$$ retail.

2 Likes

"Alex, Iā€™ll go 500 on -what is spider silk?- "

3 Likes

The brown ā€œPTFE Glass Cloth Tapeā€ is probably better, but itā€™s just too costly.

1 Like

Well, you can actually get woven dyneema/uhmwpe tapes also, itā€™s one of the most abrasion resistant materials available, although not as high flame resistance as nomex/aramid. Yeah, itā€™s insanely costly though. You can also get UHM wear strips made from non-woven material, they use it for draw slides as a bearing surface, can be found in generics, itā€™s worth playing with for sure, not as high temp as polyamide though.

1 Like

I considered UHMWPE, but it has poor heat resistance. Not that I expect my batteries to get hot.

1 Like

It actually has very good heat resistance, especially the real dyneema/spectra, it just isnā€™t great at fire resistance. Itā€™s still about 200C nominal continuous.

1 Like

ā€œ# 1.25ā€ X 3.5" KAPTON TAPE RECTANGLES WITH SILICONE ADHESIVE (10 MIL THICK)"

$3,610.85 Per Roll

haha yeah man, silicone adhesive especially, insane ā€œretailā€ prices, but industrial ā€œretailā€ prices, are rarely real street prices, and lots of surplus if youā€™ve got good ebay search-fu abilities.

Really? Oh. Iā€™ve been wrong about it, then. 200c is plenty.

2 Likes
2 Likes

So technically UHM will burn, instead of melt, although itā€™s actually really hard to get it to catch fire, sustained long term temps over 200C will cause it to start breaking down, but below that, shit lasts FOREVER. Insane UV resistance, almost no stretch, and marginal creep.

Itā€™s crazy shit, especially for rope or wovens, not as slick as PTFE (still very slick) but an order of magnitude higher abrasion and wear resistance.

1 Like

20200801_220441

12 Likes

I love these long chain plastics!

Iā€™ve been wondering about making bottom mount battery compartments out of them. Do you think there is a better material for withstanding impacts and abrasion? I know it doesnā€™t have much stiffness, and so it needs support, but after that- seems like the perfect material for battery compartments.

1 Like

I am a true autist when it comes to materials.

1 Like

0.035mm

I do agree that kapton can hold up for most things but not sharp nickel. Unless if you go pretty thickā€¦

4 Likes

Yes. Agreed.

Honestly, I think fiber reinforced phenolics (canvas or linen micarta) is probably the best option. Shouldnā€™t have the RF issues that CF has either.

You can get UHM plate but it has to be like at least 1/4" thick before itā€™s not bendy. On the other hand, you can get aramid/kevlar composites also, basically made the same way as micarta or carbon fiber panels. They actually have ā€œmicartaā€ grades that use kevlar or UHM fabrics for armor plating.

1 Like