The battery builders club

Fair enough.

Such a nice battery, shame you welded those connections to the pcb instead of soldering them.

1 Like

Yo does anyone provide a battery TEARDOWN service?

1 Like

I use a 3d printed jig for my spot welds. That way, I never accidentally put any welds where I don’t want them.

2 Likes

If you wanna make it worth my time I can…whatcha tearing into?

1 Like

sorry I meant series connection

2 Likes

I’m just tired of doing it lol. Why do these people have such shit cells and batteries in such shit condition. Ever start a cold nuclear reactor before in front of a bunch lieutenants for your first time? Not nearly as bad as tearing down battery packs.

I just finished my last pack I needed to tear down, but what you pricing?

Ahh. Will be soldered like this.

7 Likes

Polyimide tape is actually very abrasion resistant.

Dunno $10 an hour? It’s not the thing I’d like but I can do it

1 Like

I will 100% take you up on that offer next time cuz that shit is cheap imo. It took me 3 hrs to carefully tear down a 12s4p because there was no fishpaper or insulators used in that pack so I was shorting the terminals left and right

2 Likes

holy balls, is that 8 or 6 awg??

1 Like

Beg to differ. Excerpt from the wikipedia page on kapton:

Aircraft[edit]

Kapton-insulated electrical wiring has been widely used in civil and military aircraft because it is lighter than other insulators and has good insulating and temperature characteristics. However, Kapton insulation ages poorly: an FAA study shows degradation in hot, humid environments,[5] or in the presence of seawater. It was found to have very poor resistance to mechanical wear, mainly abrasion within cable harnesses due to aircraft movement. Many aircraft models have had to undergo extensive rewiring modifications—sometimes completely replacing all the Kapton-insulated wiring—because of short circuits caused by the faulty insulation. Kapton-wire degradation and chafing due to vibration and heat has been implicated in multiple crashes of both fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft, with loss of life.[6]

2 Likes

10awg. Will probably use 3 x 12awg for this latest one tho.

2 Likes

you’re gonne wrap 3 12awg around each other? is this 2 10 awg wrapped up?

No that photo is just a single 10awg.

I will lay the 3 x 12awg flat against each other.

1 Like

I’m aware of its tragic history in airplanes, but we aren’t using it to insulate wires, at least I’m not.

Please, get some kapton out, and try to puncture it with sharp things. It’s quite literally hard to puncture with a brand new razor blade. I do not think our use case mirrors that of the airplane industry.

Polyimide tape is well known to be abrasion resistant- Google it. You’ll find countless references. I always use polyimide tape in conjunction with something else, like fish paper. I never use it by itself.

I don’t know of any tapes on the market that are as strong as kapton. If someone wants to point me towards something that is as strong and heat resistant as kapton tape, I would be grateful.

Sharpish pencil does it easy…?

3 Likes

Did both, weld held the nickel in place then came back and flooded the joint with solder.

2 Likes