The battery builders club

Hmm fair enough. Don’t know exactly how much power gets cut at soft cutoff either, it was pretty dramatic on my last board

It’s a gradient. duty_cycle is cut by X% where X is 0% at cutoff start (aka soft) and 100% at cutoff end. (aka hard)

3 Likes

Oh cool thanks for that, I always wondered. So basically it is actually beneficial to have it like @A13XR3 suggests, because you have more time to realize that you can’t go as fast - although at the same time, if you aren’t traveling top speed I could see not noticing it till it’s too late anyway

1 Like

I don’t seem to be able to edit my post so I’ll correct it here. Most of what I said is true except I realise capacity is only half the story when talking about the actual amount of energy coming out of the cell. Because the voltage is lower during higher discharge, the total Wh out of the cell is lower:

The Wh has an 8% difference with a .6A and 10A load

So no you don’t get (noticeably)less capacity out of the battery by riding harder but you do get less energy.

are there any recommended battery builders in the UK?

1 Like

Apexcustoms @Lee_Wright https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.electricskateboarding.co.uk/&ved=2ahUKEwjLqN2VwvjqAhWQXM0KHUgjDZMQFjABegQIARAC&usg=AOvVaw3sXrPZyAHQ-FqG8_1O83aU

4 Likes

Hey bro, we can certainly hook you up with a battery - what do you need?

1 Like

12s4p DRI FlexPCB all finished up.

3 Likes

What would happen if you packed a 12s7p or 12s8p on one of those PCBs? would it work it just break?

2 Likes

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, you would just need to make your own p group nickel tabs.

2 Likes

Just tack a line of 25x0.2 to the top or do you think the tip of the tab needs more meat too?

1 Like

I would think adding some .2 strips to the existing precut .2 would suffice. A 12s7p would be really clean and simple.

2 Likes

If you’re crafty, I think you can make a sandwich the PCB with a P group on top and underneath. But that’s a whole lot of extra work

2 Likes

But how would you connect the nickel to the PCB if you can’t see the PCB?

1 Like

It’s very tedious and pointless, but you’d first have to connect the 4p nickel tabs by spotweld or solder, spotweld one side of the connected nickel tab to a 4p group, slide the nickel tab through the hole on the PCB, and you’d spotweld the another 4p group making it a single 8p group.

Or you can spotweld the tab from underneath and fold the p group back.

I’m typing this up and it’s very confusing to explain :joy: I’d have to demonstrate for science but again it’s pretty stupid to do lol it’s just a proof of concept

3 Likes

Just keep them all on one side so you can still flex a bit in one direction.

1 Like

I needed to see this…thx

2 Likes

Attach the tabs to the PCB before welding them to the cells.

2 Likes

Yup that. That’s a much simple explanation lmao

2 Likes

But then how would you weld the cells?