The battery builders club

is that 3/4" braid? I got some, works good, nice work on the soldering therešŸ‘

1/2" would have been enough and marginally cheaper. But YOLO and allā€¦

No this is 1/2", Iā€™m gonna order some 6mm stuff though

Yeah I understand the tradeoff. Iā€™m hoping to be able to take the modules on a plane as they are all under the flight limit.

edit: I decided to go with no BMS and just stick a 5pin automotive connector on each module.

1 Like

Lol, thats crazy. Why not cut the braid down so it spans from the middle of one group to the next?

1 Like

ā€¦I want it to look pretty? I want to sell batteries through the next couple years to pass the time stuck with online classes and try to even out the prices on some of the parts I bought, this is the example pack so I really want it to look good

1 Like

Which now means youā€™ll be stuck using that size braid and length on every pack. When a battery is sealed, I refer to the builders example pack

4 Likes

IMO it would look prettier with the braid landing in the middle with a small solder puddle just at the end of the braid.

If your intention is to solder to the whole bit of nickel, youā€™re gonna have a shit time and end up with a stiff series connection.

4 Likes

Haha but you see, thatā€™s where youā€™re wrong, if found a way to make the solder joint look like a professional TIG weld yet thereā€™s only a little bit of solder wickā€¦still hella flexy!

6 Likes

Fair point, Iā€™m gonna take pictures as I go for each pack (liability reasons) so there will be an understanding for whatā€™s under the wrap

What do you guys recommend for separating the end to end parallel groups? Is a layer of fish paper good enough?

1 Like

I wrap mine individually. Especially in a flexy setup. But Iā€™ve used partial pieces between P groups in some.

Glue, fiberglass tape, adhesive fishpaper

So how many layers between the nickel? The can to can contact has a layer of paper and heat shrink on each

Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll have a strip on each side so itā€™s just the paper that makes contact with another piece of paper, all the nickel is rounded so itā€™s pretty smooth and flat

1 Like

On the 21700B cells I built a pack with recently, any where that I had a folded connection or a positive terminal that had to come over the edge, I would build up to the top of the positive terminal.
For those, I used two of the fishpaper rings on each cell. I try to build the fishpaper up flush with the top of the P terminal so the nickel is bending straight from there. Less chance of it getting to the cell body

For the sides, i think if each P group has a fishpaper later youā€™re good. Ideally itā€™s fishpaper against fishpaper.

I put a dollar store cutting board in that mo-fo
Thatā€™s a hot spot right there

3 Likes

Haha, I think Iā€™m a little short on width for that :sweat_smile:

Ya good idea, in mine I have some of that yellow hardboard stuff that they use in production packs laying around, no horizontal vibration is making its way through that.

Thats neat :ok_hand: would love to know the process.

1 Like

Metal everywhereā€¦I have 3 different heat sinks, maybe 2 lbs of steel mass and 20 in^2

1 Like

It sounds tedious :joy: not to be a killjoy, because it does look great, but is that a viable way of building (time wise) if you are looking to capitalise on building batteries?

2 Likes

that just makes me more curious. got a picture of the heat sinks in place.
those solder joints look like welds. now Iā€™ll be even more confused when someone says welds vs soldering. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes