The battery builders club

ok fukkers… we sent @whaddys thru the mill…

throw rocks at these two random qwik solder joins…

it’s only 18ga on 1.5 nickle but I feel a crareful observer will understand the technique… and I am not above helpful or poking fun criticism…

that is a way out. buying a TS100, TS80, a weller, a hakko, and a X-tronic. simple.

well. they said TS100. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Only thing would be using a Dremel for roughing up the nickel, you get a much cleaner puddle from it…but that’s just nit picking

6 Likes

Kook, I’m expecting a “we’re going streaking” , nickel hybrid joke.

1 Like

yeah I’ll take it… fully scratched… the bottom pool is NASA spec… the top pool too much solder wandering but it still passed… notice the lack of wire burn?

almost zero solder wander… no lack of fusion… no cold join… look closer…

The fact that the TS80 uses more power really bothers me…I can’t in justify the TS100 when it has less chooch in use

1 Like

The joints look perfect still, I normally like them to sit flat but your wires definitely stay cooler than mine

1 Like

I like the wire not over-heated or the soldering not traveling up the wire…

2 Likes

I definitely need more practice with that on heavy stuff, 10awg usually fights me enough to have a noticable stiff section

1 Like

Hate it lol joining 2x 10awg wires into a loop key is death

1 Like

XT90 connectors are not so bad, it’s getting the long lines that I use for my pack terminations that gets me

This but it’s just 2" of open strands on a single piece of nickel (this is an old pack, don’t bother roasting)

Did one yesterday and it went better than usual, down to about 5mm of stiffness past the end of the nickel with 12awg

3 Likes

Yeah I am going to do that for my pos and negative leads lol it’s gonna be bad

I’m assuming you fluxed it and all?

it still amazes me you get those insulation cuts… I don’t have the intuition or the patience for that…

kudos

2 Likes

I’m too tired to understand things, can you explain?

1 Like

Shaving away the little bits in the wire to solder to

1 Like
1 Like

It’s not too bad, do some practice ones

But there no point doing it if the series connections are not as robust as the termination connections

Nah, just rosin core

1 Like

Ahh those, it’s not that bad if you have a sharp knife, just roll the wire over the blade and a single cut down the length and off they go

I don’t have the picture anymore but I did 96 of them for a pack once…got pretty good after that

1 Like

This was way way back for me, like when I barely knew how boards were supposed to work

P.s. you can feed the phase leads of a Unity between the layers of a BesTech 60A BMS…not smart but it saves space