The battery builders club

Today was my first real day of pack building after gluing stuff together, and unfortunately it ended in disappointment. About 1 hr into the pack (only one and a half P groups bc I’m still learning and had to cut nickel, etc etc.) my battery for my spot welder just ceased to work. No clue what happened, it looks perfect, no damage or anything crazy. I measured the voltages and it appears one cell has gone MIA and the pack total voltage is 7.2mV - really??

I just submitted a hobbyking rma, we shall see what happens. Obviously if they refuse to replace it I will have to repair it but I really wouldn’t want to have to open this pretty lipo pack.

Anyway this thread is for the battery building part, here’s what I’ve done so far.

Personally I think it is coming along nicely, I just wish that my battery hadn’t shat itself. I’ve got tweleve of these to do so being 1.5 in with a broken battery is very annoying to say the least

3 Likes

Welds look a little too hot bro

1 Like

Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing. I was welding at 49J on my kWeld, the nickel is 0.2mm and that’s about what they recommended in the kWeld guide for that thickness (50J) should I just turn it down until there’s no bluing on the extremeties of the weld circles?

1 Like

Awww, my dude, I’m sorry, those packs are looking quite nice tho

1 Like

Yes mate thats what I would do :+1:

2 Likes

Does anyone know how the mathematics works on this? When 2 cells of differing voltages are combined in parallel what direction and how much current flows from the higher voltage cell to the lower voltage cell?

No idea, maybe some scouring of Google will yield results, I have never really needed to know haha

Maybe someone out there has done it

Mmm I can’t just have balance ports coming out of my enclosure so I can plug in the charger?

I’ll make it elegant, I promise

@glyphiks aren’t you using something like this?

1 Like

watch this and make up your own mind…

2 Likes

Like a GX12 with 13 pins and a waterproof cap?

Maybe 2x 6 pins. Probably ones made by weipu

8mm diameter connector - or whatever is smallest without needing a surgeon to solder…

2 because it looks like this charger handles 2x 6s packs, maximum?

The voltage difference between cells will try to equalize with the maximum current available, which is dictated by total circuit resistance (and the voltage delta). That comes from cell internal resistance, resistance of your welds and the resistance of nickel. Looking at only cell resistance is a good simplification. For example, for 30Q it is 0.0221 ohms. Two of those connected together are 0.0442 ohms. If you have a 0.05 volt difference in the cell potential, you will have 0.05/0.0442 = 1.1A equalization current for a short while. That’s totally ok.

2 Likes

Make sure you got a break in the 6 to 7 series then or you’ll be in for a hell of a surprise :sweat_smile:

Maybe that should be your loop key, and then it covers the balance ports so you /have/ to remove the series link to plug in the charger?

Fak knows. Was hoping kook had the solution

1 Like

I thought kook charged his batteries by vigorously jumping up and down on them :thinking:

3 Likes

@glyphiks has deffo ditched bmses so either he chimes in or I stalk his threads

1 Like

I’m like 90% sure he forked big money for a high current 12s balance charger

1 Like

Yeah I remember it being $$

Got enough pesos for those kinda toys?

Maybe. £60 for that charger was highly attractive since I wouldn’t need to fuck around with multiple chargers/bmses and had the option to charge @15a

Plus space for more batteries

1 Like