The battery builders club

@ZachTetra I just made another post about this…

But there is nothing on the other side of those batteries. Should there be?

I’ll PM

very nice, I will have to go both the lipo and SPIM route and try both of em out. @iamasalmon what did you use for connectors?

You need to have a continuous chain of cells, I can draw it up for you if you would like but I will need a minute

1 Like

Yeah sure, just pm so we dont crowd this

1 Like

I used the xt90 that came with the welder. It gets warm but the probes get warmer (hot).

the balance connector is a regular jst for balancing

1 Like

I blame @Mainflow for this

@maxmayer

I could’ve sworn you typed you researched this…

I know nothing about these cells; you balance them with a jst? What type of jst exactly? What BMS do you balance these with? Just 3 SPIM’s in series?

with a 10s bms

You’re probably pretty sick of seeing shitty MS Paint diagrams but here’s my plan.

• 12 4p welded groups
  • 12awg Series Connections
  • 12awg Pos/Neg Discharge
  • 22awg balance leads
  • XT90s discharge connectors
  • Kapton and Fishpaper and pvc shrink wrap
  • External balance charger for now - probably gonna end up a PITA but what ever

Two 6s4p “Flexi” battery packs. Flexi as in there’s some space in between each group, not that it will necessarily flex in the Haya deck but it will have some slight slack in the series connections in case of movement. Planning on using silicone between each group to fasten it to the deck and other groups. I think 2x 12awg series connections is enough for the 80 amp discharge this can supply. I’ll probably even use single 12awg wires for the pos/neg discharge wires anyways unless someone stops me.

A bit messy but the yellow balance lines represent the highest voltage balance lead and the blue signify the other “black/neg” ones.

Hope to start work on this soon. Battery cell shipping doesn’t seem to like me…

2 Likes

i think its jst-xh 2.0.
same as every other lipo I’ve seen.

3s3p SPIM08’s, charge with a hobby charger, like the imaxB6. No BMS.

1 Like

no bms? so how do these cells balance? Is there a general wiring diagram for these?

A typically lipo hobby charger doesn’t balance, it just charges each individual cell at 4.2 v or so I believe

the hobby charger does the balancing and more, depending on the model.

Not sure what wiring diagram you want, it’s the same wiring as every correct battery here. B-, +1, +2, +3/B+. easy peasy

1 Like

Hot tip: Tin the ends of your cables before stripping the silicone. Basically drip some flux on the end, then apply heat and solder until it wicks down the cable a few mm, and then let cool.

That way once you strip the insulation you have the solder equivalent of the aglet on the end of your shoelace, that keeps all the little strands from fraying.

@whaddys this is for you too.

9 Likes

the imax b6 definitely balances.
or not, if you choose bulk charging

+1
makes me feel pro when I do this lol.
The only time I don’t tin before I strip is when using those crappy wires that come with BMS connections. That crap insulation melts and makes a mess all over the soldering tip. ymmv

1 Like

Yeah, this only really works with silicone insulation. PVC or other thermoplastics will melt.

1 Like

I’ve got a thing like this

never actually used it yet. the jst-xh 2.0 end in a 3 pin connector? Can I put the 3pin into the 6s slot of this hobby charger and it will balance only 3s? Sorry for I’m so fucking noob at this lipo shit lol

For 3s, you need a 4 pin connector: Negative, cell1 positive, cell2 positive, cell3 positive.

2 Likes