The battery builders club

uh oh, that’s gonna be me :innocent:

If you want I’ll send you mine, yours will be solid and my OCD will be satisfied :smile:

1 Like

it’s ok, I just put in my order with hobbyking but thank you brotha

You should have bought the $25 of connectors and bits for free shipping, I got loot for days with mine

1 Like

replace the xt90 ideally with lug nuts, it will be a bottleneck

That seems kinda dangerous…what if the lug nuts touch while you take the battery off?

I have AS150 7mm bullets with shields, or run of the mill 8mm bullets though

just make one always connected and insulated and the other not.

i also had bullets but they would get super hot, fyi i weld really fast so…

Uhh…what bullets were you using?

I think they were 150 or 120a ones, or the ones from kweld… haha, anyways even the 8awg cable is a issue with these currents and a bit faster welding

How fast are you welding…?

A weld every 2.5 seconds or so at 50j as long as i can hold the electrodes.

btw dont try that on a lipo it would break the shit aluminium series connections, they use like 17x0.15mm for 300A continious lol

3 Likes

Oh boy now I’m scared

1 Like

What are you using as a power source then? And what is the sign the lipo is getting in trouble?

1 Like

2x kcaps in parralel to make them work “easier” but one should be enough

You will hear slight pops from it haha like sparks

2 Likes

If you hear the pop that’s way to late then right?

You can open it up and solder the terminals if your not scared but you will need aluminium flux and its quite tricky regarding the space.

and yea, that means get a new lipo, but if your welding slow it shouldnt happen.
i couldnt resist myself so i would blow a lipo every day or two so i cashed out for the kcaps lol

1 Like

How would resoldering the terminals help? There is still the aluminum as the limiting factor right?

it could repair it, then you just slow it down and it should work i guess…

i would split my lipos in 3 and make the connections with 8awg wire, but it would then pop before the soldered connection if i would weld fast

So what I’m hearing is the lipos are just generally not robust? Maybe more small lipos with their own lug nuts is the move? (say 3x of the 4Ah Panthers)

Maybe they changed the design and improved, i sent them an email or two about this.
anyways just dont weld like crazy and you should be fine.

I put 2x 4ah green in parralel but then i would get to the 2kA limit and had to increase resistance with washers

Basically if you are only making a battery for yourself, every few months a lipo is good, just take it easy and even if it breaks its not expensive to replace it