The battery builders club

I made a 3d printed battery pack / case recently. Thought I’d add it to the collection :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

where did you get your cells from?

1 Like

Nkon. It’s the red vtc6 batteries

1 Like

How are you connecting the cells? Is it just pressing cans or do you have folded nickel under there?

1 Like

There is 0,5mm copper in between the batteries. And then the screws are pressing it all together. I also pressed some indents kinda like what you would see in the NESE hardware for better contacts. Works a treat so far :grin:

Edit: double stacked 0,25mm copper to get indents both ways

3 Likes

So I got these lovely batteries last night, and also have a Daly 12S LiFePO4 BMS (thanks @magharees) from a while ago.

I want to run them as 24S5P preferably, but charge them as 12S10P. Now either I do that with the BMS setup as an external charger, or as an integrated circuit.

I can use a lookey to flip between 24S run and 12S charge. Suggestions?

5 Likes

where did you get these cells from?

1 Like

Local Australian ebay listing.

2 Likes

As @BenjaminF says, they’re new/unused ANR26650M1A’s.

1 Like

This lipo charger I borrowed is pretty legit, and overkill. The power supply unit is below the charger… my battery build shall commence soon and I’ll be asking a lot of questions before I start/while doing it. Hope you guys dont mind

2 Likes

OK, still working on first battery here and I’m trying to figure out which balance leads from this BMS are what. I know I have alot of isolating sparky parts and copper left still, but here’s a photo of the pack so far and the BMS I’m using.

I started to solder the fuse onto the c- wire for the charge port. This BMS is separate port and there are 13 red wires and 1 black. I’m guessing I solder the black to B- and then the other red leads to each individual pack? I’m just wondering, does B1 start on the end without the black wire or on the other end after the black wire? Hepl me not blow shit up plazzz <333

1 Like

The B- and black balance wire go to the same place, the main battery negative. Then each red wire after that goes to the series connection of ever cell group after the main negative.

Think of the black wire as B0 and the first red wire as B1. When the pattern continues the last red wire should be B13, which is also where the main battery positive wire is connected.

This picture explains it well but only shows 4s but you can just imagine the other 9 cells there in that gap between 3 and 4…

Also if you are bypassing the BMS connect your VESC to the main positive and negative leads preferably with a fuse that is maybe 10% bigger than your battery max.

2 Likes

so will this not work then?

Is there a reference/guide anywhere to the various dimensions possible for a given battery configuration? I don’t plan to build the battery myself, but I’ve got an enclosure and have an idea what I want but need to see what’s possible within its confines.

@thisguyhere has a calculator but I can;t (too lazy) find the kink… maybe he’ll chime in later

1 Like

I ended up just firing up my favorite CAD tool and drawing everything out in 2D. Squares and rectangles and circles, etc.

Got me pretty close. Just make sure to leave ~10% extra room around the edges or whatever for wires. They take up space in the real world!

2 Likes

I did the same… mm x mm
I ended up with a 10mm gasket…

picking flyshit out of pepper is a fools errand…
there is a reason peeps use a pressed board (vs. math) to make an enclosure

2 Likes

That battery charger is one of the best you can find.
I have its big brother the PL8 and it rocks.

4 Likes

Yea, I’m glad the person who lent it to me, did so. Now awaiting for the lipo to come from hobbyking and I’ll start welding!

2 Likes

just did the balance leads, how does it look to you guys?

I need to think of how to organize these balance leads so there’s no crossing, and somhow organize fishpaper underneath everything…

1 Like