The battery builders club

Originally, yes. But since there’s a push towards larger cell formats for larger battery packs (read: Tesla), cell manufacturers have begun taking their existing recipes, and stuffing them into larger cells. Basically 30Q and 40T are nearly the same recipe, but since 21700 cells are ~45% larger in volume than 18650s, you can have a higher capacity - 4Ah vs 3Ah, and proportionally more current as well.

(I think 40T does have a slightly more power-focused (vs capacity focused) recipe than the 30Q just due to the extra current rating, but they’re very close.)

4 Likes

It is very cool to learn about how batteries are constructed because they are about as close to magic as we can get in this age. Beginning to understand what it takes to improve a battery cell or make it cheaper always blows me away how we have gotten where we are today.

It’s one of those very complicated simple things.

Stuffing metals and chemicals into a container and hooking up some wires got us here.

Not only originally. They are 18650s.
Sony vtc6A are bigger, but they are also named different.

2 Likes

Nope. https://www.18650batterystore.com/Sony-p/sony-vtc6a.htm Both Sony, Both named the same, just different size and of course the larger cells have higher capacity and discharge capability, because they’re bigger!

2 Likes

Because naming it VTC7 would have been just totally ridiculous.

I think they should have started a new name to differentiate the 21700s to the old 18650s, my guess is that they would want to keep the name in order to retain the prestige that the VTC line is somewhat known for.

Marketing>Making Sense

1 Like

Ok i thought i‘m wrong so I deleted my first comment.
I did look around a bit and I couldn’t find any vtc6A data sheet for the 18650 size.
The only thing I found was an old mooch test of prototype cells.
I also couldn’t find them anywhere in stock one the specks from the link just line up with the old vtc6 specks so i do not see a difference there.

I still might be wrong but till I don’t find an official Sony data sheet for the 18650 size I say the shop did just label them wrong and used prototype cells for pictures.

2 Likes

200wh modular packs :eyes:

2 Likes

Lolz. There should be a “battery building alternatives” thread

Wonder what cells it has though

I think my welder finally shit the bed, used Sunkko 709a…she can only do a couple welds before going dead. Suggestions?

I opened it up and there is no sign of damage, everything looks to be in place and nothing appears blown, and it’s not hot on the outside either so like I have no idea any more

Does anyone in the US have a welder system they are no longer using? Something that uses a pen preferably, I don’t have any lipo batteries on hand

3 Likes

I recently got a Malectrics in like 4 days since they are only shipping express. Very very nice setup for less than a Sunkko

The kweld I ordered took like over a month before they would even acknowledge my existence, there’s a waitlist and “go f- yourself” attitude with the CS. It is a nice welder though.

1 Like

The peso count is running low so probably not the k weld? I think that’s north of $200 right?

both my and @BluPenguin’s experience was much different… I ordered/paid/and received my kweld in like 2-3 days…

totally a great experience!

as an aside, did you purchase yours through the offshore (germany i believe) or the USA reseller?

1 Like

I did not experience any of this at all. Don’t know where you got this from. Keith was extremely friendly, responded quickly, was personable, and had my order shipped in two days. I believe they are currently waiting on a batch to come in from Europe, I got one of the last kits that were still here a few weeks ago.

$235 shipped in CONUS if you get the full kit, then whatever the cost is for the battery, mine was like 80 shipped for the graphene turnigy

1 Like

haha, I read that @BluPenguin’s messages were getting blocked.
Anyway, I almost didn’t order because they guy never answered any email and out the the blue sends an invoice like a month and a half later. Anyway, lol, glad you had a good experience.

2 Likes

Wow, ok, I must be special.
I just call them as a see them.

Glad everyone is happy, I must have just got the poo end of that stick

1 Like

Lol I was confused when I read yours, who knows man

1 Like

meeeee tooooo !!!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not worried, you know covid 19 and all, I feel lucky whenever I get anything at all in the mail, haha. Still waiting on some nickel I ordered 2 months ago, the tracking number I got was useless, Ali seller unresponsive… but one day, hopefully this year, it will show up and I will go forth and weld in happiness.

Anyway, as fate would have it since I never heard back, I went and ordered a Malectrics, so I’m happy to have both to compare. I really like both, while the K weld is bit better, both are waaaay better than the Sunkko. Pair either up with $40 worth of SPIM08 cells and there is ZERO reason to buy a Sunkko

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with you. I ended up getting Ebay nickel and it shipped within a week no problem. My ali express nickel still hasn’t arrived though

1 Like

haha that’s exactly what I did for that last pack!

it wasn’t the right size. I wanted 10p belt and they sent 6p, but I used it anyway… YOLO.
I didn’t even bother testing it. :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes