The battery builders club

Nobody should be brazing with torches anywhere near a lithium cell. When I say you can’t solder to it, i’m talking about using a standard 480C solder station with 60/40 tin lead split.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried it, but it seems that you would be able to use the silver solder with the soldering stations we already have. and if you had to, you could use the torch to braze up a “ready-to-weld” harness, a la @BluPenguin I don’t have any stainless (yet?) so it’s all academic to me anyway. :v:

true. As long as the torch is somewhere far from the cans. lol

4 Likes

Mine look good so far, FedEx treated me nicely

I’m gonna start testing them right now.

5 Likes

So I tested them all for voltage, I have 66 right on 3.64v, 1 dead, and then the rest are a little off:

Are the cells that vary a bit ok to use? I’ll charge/discharge them of course but was wondering if they would cause problems?

Can you charge them one at a time?

Bring them to the exact same voltage, use only the close ones, make sure all parallel packs are similar (if one has a low cell, they should all have a low cell)

1 Like

if you can, charge them up to 4.2 and let them sit for a few days, if they stay within 4.15-4.20, do a discharge capacity test and sort them by them discharge capacity
any that fall below 4.15 I would avoid using

4 Likes

I don’t have a capacity tester but I will charge them all up individually and record their voltages every day for probably about a week. A spreadsheet would probably be perfect for this and make a cool graph. Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

I’ve got some welding to do. Let’s see if I can do nonstop 7500 welds with my homebrew kweld

16 Likes

How much does that cost per cell for the whole pack? If you can source that I bet some people would be very interested

Wow that is a lot of nickel

where did you get that nickel sheeting? I want to start using my xcarve to cut nickel, but I want wide sheets.

3 Likes

I’m importing it… Have 100kgs on order… I cleared out their stock. So i can’t give their info away. I need it for myself/ etc.
But its water jet cut… the head of the jet is the perfect width for the battery relief .040”

I have some 161mm wide stuff coming i think. Have to check. You should be able to order from me in a few weeks. What you see in the pic was 100mm wide i think>?

Costs a few hundred to get 500 plus cut, so long term better to set up a factor to make a press/ die for you. But for rapid prototyping, its nice to have, even if you print out to scale on cad/PDF and track and cut with scissors and dremel the relief slots.

Sorry, if they had a bunch , I’d give the source, but they are dry right now for .02mm.

5 Likes

IDK how you’re gonna hold onto it and prevent the cutting pressure from deforming the sheets.

A downward-spiral endmill will help a little, but ideally you want some sort of topping material to sandwich everything together, and then cut like a dozen layers of nickel at once.

3 Likes

You like cookie dough?

1 Like

You know how cheap i am… It’s grocery outlet coffee choc, was 50 cents a pint… bought 30 of them:)

4 Likes

“Why buy one of something when you can clear out the entire inventory?”

-Kevin G.

19 Likes

multiple layers sandwiched with thin waste material and a compression bit. Optionally thin sheet metal can be cut with an engraver bit if glued to a wasteboard.

It would likely be better to get somebody to cut it for me though.

4 Likes

Last time Kevin ordered something like this and wouldn’t give a source, the Ali link was posted in like 5 minutes. Guaranteed you can get it somewhere else, he’s just being g r e e d y

4 Likes