The battery builders club

Hey guys, I’m new to the esk8 world. I’ve ordered a spot weld kit from maletrics, what cheap batteries do you recommend practicing on? And what website do you order all the accessories from? Thanks, I’m excited about picking up this new hobby and learning a ton.

Yes, but smaller exists. What rating are you going to use?

Yes, just like @Arzamenable said. But the ones actually rated for this are even smaller. But yeah, I’ve used those before and they are fine.

These work well for charging up to 4A - 5A

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0997075WXN?qs=bpnLQM2ZShwcHyOYzoHBAA%3D%3D

I messed around with Regular double As

If there is ‘practice ‘ to be done, it is with the actual nickel you intend to use. Start at the minimum pulse setting and work your way up until the nickel sticks, strong enough to pull off and leave behind a small divot of nickel on the cell surface.

1 Like

Yes you can use those fuses.

I agree with Practoce, I would recommend for most when ordering batteries you find some cheap cells and order a few. When I first received my welder, I bought 5 25R cells that were on sale for dirt cheap along with the 30qs I ordered. I drained 3 of those 25R cells to 0.0 V and used them for my first practice welds.
Weld, tear off, inspect, adjust, repeat. Get your settings dialed in for each strip thickness, stacking strips etc.

Create safe conditions to weld, organize your workspace and do your homework. Before I welded on a practice cell with voltage I knew exactly what settings I wanted for the welder for each strip thickness and for multiple strips.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice, I’ll start ordering some nickle strips and some cheap batteries. I’ll continue to read and try to learn as much as I can while I wait for the welder.

For anybody interested. I’ve got a couple of dead packs I can rip apart and send you the dead cells for weld settings testing. Just the price of shipping and the scrap cells are yours.

9 Likes

But part of the joy of battery building is the errant shoulder short, or pack dead short that demonstrates the true power of these cells when a strip of nickel goes “poof”

6 Likes

I’m interested

1 Like

:kissing_heart:

5 Likes

What about that feeling after almost doing something catastrophic , but then stopping 1 cm before destruction.

The spidey sense + “Jesus, who thought it was a good idea to give me a spotwelder?!”

8 Likes

Does anyone know the name of that yellow thin plastic some people use around their batter packs? it usually goes under the heatshrink.

I ripped apart a China pack and it looked like it had fiberglass sheet. Was yellow. But I think some have also used those cheap thin cutting boards trimmed to size as well?

1 Like

insulation epoxy board

6 Likes

Youre not talking about kapton tape, are you?

no. @moon has the correct answer

One thing I would also recommend is getting the single cells/small packs from battery hookup. Great practice and super cheap.

at the same time pick up something like this to mess around with:

more good cheap practice.
2 Likes

Anyone ever seen this happen on Aliexpress before? This is my nickel strip roll

Parcel 2 is not even in the system yet.

I ordered this like 12 days ago

1 Like

I make my own, just wet out 1-2 sheets of glass mat and sandwich between 2 sheets of waxed glass.

6 Likes