The battery builders club

It’s a nickel cutting kind of night

6 Likes

10 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Hot batteries were y2k.

If your batteries are getting too hot to hold, your bad a designing a power system

It’s all good. Apparently just bought tons of the stuff.

I see they sell .3mm–has anyone tried that for our batteries?

I’ve not. I might order some new stuff soon so could order a little to test on my malectrics.

2 Likes

@iamasalmon series connections going like this

do you know the point in the holes in the nickel?
that is the reason some cells have only 4 welds

thanks for the help guys

hopefully nothing will blow up

The holes on the nickel increase the resistance (same material, longer path to travel), which gives you a better weld with lower spot welder pulse lengths.

If you plan to solder on series connections after you spot welded the nickel on, that’s not ideal. be fast, use flux, Use a big iron, avoid shoulder shorts

2 Likes

you put the holes where you want to weld, it makes the current go through nickel to the cell then back through the nicke, you will get a bit better welds that way

3 Likes

thanks both of you

@Arzamenable i am not soldering series connections as it is a block battery i am only soldering balance leads
thanks

1 Like

Some guys knock their first Esk8 out of the park, I don’t know how they do it.

There is an even smaller minority that show up, zero battery background and crush it.

I don’t consider my work good enough for anyone else but me to ride on.

Expect some unfortunate pack design choices, construction issues. When you no longer trust a pack you made, make sure you do the autopsy.

:+1:

3 Likes

yeah so far i would trust myself to ride it (maybe)
and hopefully it will go good enough

after i do each fw update and dont know how my board will react i will jsut stick my brother on it and tell him to go round the block testing
he is the perfect testing rig

I think it starts to become harder to weld at this thickness but I’ve never done it myself. If you want more current then it’s easy to just use wider nickel.

2 Likes

Did my series groups and I get an output voltage of 22.6v at 6s (I will put 2 6s batteries in series)

Balance leads coming soon

The pack is a little flimsy but overall looks ok

Still working out the best way to insulate the pack and etc…

4 Likes

Thoughts on this series connection method? 18ga superworm, 12s3p 30Q

2 Likes

The nickel fold doesn’t add much, if anything put it on the other side so it sits nicer

1 Like

3 Likes

Looking for some supplies, thought I’d ask here as well. Trying to make a pen mod for my Sunkko, does anyone State side have 2 female 8mm bullets and some heavy wire (6awg or 8awg)?

I’d buy from Amazon but I really don’t need 15 bullets and 10’ of wire

The nickel fold is just a surface to solder to before I weld the other side to the cells. I could solder to the other side of the nickel, but I have heard here that a larger radius bend is better for nickel (less chance of vibrations causing stress fractures).

Ive got 8ga superworm here. Shipping would probably end up costing you half as much as 10’ shipped from Amazon though. No big bullets thought.