hell yesh, a glimpse into @BluPenguin’s battery building secrets

5 Likes

The current one I’m working on

14 Likes

oh this is CLEAN. Looking good man

5 Likes

What do you use for “workholding”

1 Like

This DT Swiss tubeless tape that’s basically thick kapton tape with a relatively strong adhesive… Sticks to nickel and the silicone mat fairly well a few times and doesn’t let go with heat

1 Like

P groups welded

I know they aren’t great but I think they should be ok?

The other side

Fishpaper in between each group and a change of nickel half way through
My bro wanted to try my welder so a couple of them sparked a bit but the connections are ok

All nickel rounded off

Is there anything aweful that needs changing ASAP with this pack?

Wiring series connections tomorrow

2 Likes

Nickel looks really narrow, what nickel is it ?

1 Like

Some is 0.15 by 8mm the other is 0.15 by 10
This is low discharge pack

The whole pack can only discharge around 25amps as it is just a range extender pack

I was told this nickel should be ok for my needs

Can I ask where you get nickel and fishpaper from in the U.K.
Already running out of both as I only have 10mm and some really thin nickel left (like 5mm or something)

1 Like

Yep, I saw the colour of the cells and thought 40T’s. :rofl:
Nickel from Fogstar. I get fish paper from China.

1 Like

Mismatched nickel (!) not withstanding, the weld technique can use some work.
I see blowouts, light welds and crispy welds. None of the cells blew, so that’s good. Maybe go back and hit the ones that only have 2 welds again, if you dare. The P group connections don’t carry much current if you build the battery correctly, the real question is…

How are you going to make your series connections?

Regardless of how much you think you will draw from the pack, those cells pack quite a punch. Your series connections will need to be husky enough to handle it. Look at @BluPenguin’s work. look very close… ( Outstanding work, thank you for sharing with us , @BluPenguin :pray:)

7 Likes

Anyone else get a little freaked out to come home to a battery shipment left out in the sun?
(he must have just left it there, was still cool inside, but still…)

10 Likes

that’s no biggy

3 Likes

this is somewhat comforting… however, I know two people who’s batteries burned to the ground from leaving them in the sun. Perhaps some kind of greenhouse effect in the enclosure? anyway, live to charge another day

2 Likes

Cool. I also meant in general. I did quite of lot soldering today and realised life would be much easier if I had some decent workholding

well I was only referring to your situation, a built battery in an enclosure in the sun is a different story

1 Like

whasup with the prices for all the nickel on the fogstar website It’s 1 pound/meter regardless of the width and thickness of the nickel? And wtf isn’t that like stupid cheap?

1 Like

I’ve experienced the exact same anxiety :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@iamasalmon there is a beam of light that forms from a semi parabolic neighbor window that always finds my cells and packs. It’s hot.

4 Likes

is that beam of light glistening off the under-b00b of neighbor lady?

1 Like

One of robs strays. I don’t really care to get to know them bc they will be gone soon enough. I do leave fresh water out for them and some times Motrin.

3 Likes