The battery builders club

Cells drop a bit after they charge, more with some charging systems, less with others. I often loose a couple hundreths of a volt by morning if I charge at night.

Also some BMS have some power drain. Excessive drain from your BMS can indicate a bad BMS.

if you unplug your BMS, you should be able to tell how much drain your BMS is imposing on your pack.

Also check the individual cell voltages to make sure your BMS is not faulty and trying to kill one of your P groups.

9 Likes

Like @iamasalmon said, check each group to see if they are balanced and lose voltage equaly or maybe there is just one bad cell which should be replaced. I had one bad cell killing other 11 cells in 12p. It just drains voltage sitting on the table, doing nothing else.
Btw it would be smart to get charger which chargea to 42v. Overcharging is never good.
And another point here - CC/CV charging will bring full voltage to battery in last part of charging cycle and it will charge on full voltage for some time, until battery is full. Maybe you just didnā€™t charge it to 100%?

1 Like

Itā€™s a 4Ah pack at 2a for about 6 hours, starting at about 40% charge, pre balancedā€¦Iā€™d imagine thatā€™s more than enough to bring to full charge

1 Like

the top row is a different p group. the connection between the two p groups are in series. the current that flows is only the current that is delivered by each p group, right? that would be five cells at ten amperes each into two busses, twenty five amps per bus

1 Like

Okā€¦ Iā€™m wrongā€¦

Iā€™m going to delete my nonsense comments

1 Like

1/24 done

4 Likes

Donā€™t weld next to the terminals, in case those are welds.

I know I knowā€¦ horrible circles :joy:

7 Likes

Clip the corners of them nickel strips. Donā€™t need to round them off just take a diagonal cut on each corner so they donā€™t stick out so sharp.

3 Likes

Finally found time to finish un_fucking the gawd-damned Mbored batteryā€¦

6 Likes
6 Likes

Oh yes, my favorite. High resistance contacts and cascade failure. Send me 100.

4 Likes

Ummmm, I got some for shits and gigs. Maybe use under low, low power?

2 Likes

what happenedā€¦ I only could bear watching until the 45 second markā€¦

itā€™s more relevant to powerwall builds with salvaged 18650s where youā€™re running 80-200P

4 Likes

To be clear, this was for a charge-and-ride mppt bank of lƩ tired cells

1 Like

Ah, yeah I get it. I guess its an easier alternative to fusing rows of P groups.

1 Like

Would someone please look at my wiring diagram and the bms diagram below and let me know if what Iā€™ve drawn matches up?

Thanks!

1 Like

looks good to me

4 Likes

yes, but only if you want to discharge though your BMS. This is generally not a good idea for esk8, since it will protect your battery at at the cost of your face.

2 Likes