The battery builders club

I’ve bought from Chinahobbyline and imported to the EU without problems before, reasonably fast shipping too. The capacity per euro of their LiPos is pretty good and a lot less hassle than trying to build a pack from round cells

I’m specifically looking for a LiPo for spot welding only. Currently I have 2 enormous LiPo mounted on my board with a BMS that were bought in 2016. I haven’t ridden very much each year so they still do work but I don’t feel comfortable using them and storing them at home anymore because of their age.

Goal is to build an 18650 (already have bought the cells) with a smart bluetooth BMS (bought LLT) so that I can more easily monitor what is going on and not have to be as worried about it. Currently to measure the cells etc I have to remove my enclosure and measure with a multimeter etc…

You’re the hero I needed, please report back!!

2 Likes

uh i have a quick question. are 3a discharge rate cells enough for a 10s pack? i bought a bunch of li-ions for harvesting and before purchasing i looked up a chart but i guess i typed in the wrong model and instead of 15a cells they are 3a… if anyone is wondering they are lgdaS31865

As long as you set the appropriate battery current limits in VESC software it will be safe, but it probably won’t be fun.

Telling us the full battery config and riding type you’re planning on will help us give better answers

1 Like

Even 15 amp cells would struggle to give you the power needed.

Just a rolling start on flat ground uses more far more than 9 amps. I think I’d try and sell them if I were you so I could try and buy something better.

1 Like

Maybe you could still get good torque with setting the motor amps high and just set the battery amps as low as they need to be. I wonder how that would go.

2 Likes

slow acceleration and low range is how it would go.

With motor amps not coming from the battery but essentially being converted from the voltage, how would it work out exactly? Why can’t you do like 100 motor amps with a weak battery?

“the electrical wattage is the effective voltage times the motor current, and it is also the battery voltage times the battery current.”

If my internet calculator is correct, 9 amps at 42.2v is good for 379.8 watts max. So, maybe you could run 200 watts continuously without them getting too hot? I think that’s just about enough power to move you but you wouldn’t be going anywhere very fast. I would think the batteries would sag, as well.

1 Like

Well you can try (if you’re not bothered with safety) but as the batteries will not be able to deliver any more current the voltage will sag requiring even more current and the voltage will sag requiring more current until we ultimately get nowhere near 100 amps.

I guess you could do a 100 motor amps with a weak battery but the motor voltage would need to be

P = 42 * 9 = 378 Watt

U = 378/100 = 3.78 volts

1 Like

You totally can, the torque will just drop off to nothing as you pick up speed. Geared the same, a 10A pack will provide 1/6 the top end torque of a 60A pack.

1 Like

Ok so this is before i pot it but here is my fused charging port and buck converter splitter:

• Diwhy
  • Shitty diy
  • Looks ok

0 voters

3 Likes

Can I interest you in:

14 Likes

So u could get 100 motor amps but only at 3.78v so very slow, then the motor amps would taper as you increased speed, so maybe u could have a quick acceleration to some pretty slow speed

I don’t see how it would be unsafe if the battery amps were set to 10.

That looks slick af. New product? Is it good for 10a charging

1 Like

Yes, yes, and yes :kissing_heart:

No promises on release date, I’m working on a couple new versions with more features.

2 Likes

@MrDrunkenMobster
Maybe it’s already out there or not possible but could u send cell voltages to the esc by wire and then Bluetooth could send from Vesc to phone? Or maybe that’s a lot more complicated

1 Like

I really think vesc should have support for doing low voltage cutoff start/end on min of per pgroup voltages. (in addition to then also making the info available over ble )

So a standard for sending that info to the vesc seems good.

1 Like

i got usb converter for my battery. 8-85v to 5v 3A with USB. , is it normal to see a little spark when connecting the 2nd wire to the battery? the unit works fine

Yes. Since there’s no precharge, anti-spark resistor to prevent it.

1 Like