The battery builders club

I freaking love my Tilswall Soldering 65W Station. It’s a transformer based soldering iron, and it weighs nearly 5lb’s. Another reason I like it is because it takes the traditional tips rather than the cartridge based ones. This allows for the use of solid copper tips.

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Temperature-392°F-896°F-Transformer-Electronics/dp/B07XF3TK82

https://www.amazon.com/Bestgle-Soldering-Lead-Free-Welding-NEWACALOX/dp/B08PBK2MYL

Don’t you guys (in Europe)use expensive, silver based solders that are also shiny?

1 Like

So how would I go about cleaning the Flux off?

1 Like

iso in spray bottle or dropper and toothbrush/lint free cloth

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-MCC-W66-Lint-Free-Solvent-Wipes/dp/B00JFK0BAA

3 Likes

Silver based solder is more shiny than regular lead free, yeah. It’s also more expensive, but not by a huge amount. More shiny doesn’t mean as shiny as leaded solder though.

2 Likes

I have been having really good results with just wiping it up with shop towels or thicker paper towels. I keep one handy when doing big joints that het lots of flux and right when the solder solidifies and the flux is still very wet give it a quick wipe. It has the secondary effect of also letting me know it there are any burs or generally pokey bits i should smooth down down with the hot iron.

This gets the joint 99% clean so if you do go back at it with some 99% iso you don’t need to soak it or chip the huge chunks of flux off. There will be a thin almost not visible tacky feeling sheen of flux left on some joints that will clean up easily. I usually just leave it thought as it makes the kapton stick really well ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

Acetone works really well. Acetone, and cue tips is what I use. Nail polish remover is basically the same thing.

1 Like

Do you clean it as you go? Or do you go back and clean it?

2 Likes

I go back after everything is done.

1 Like

Hello people, I’m rebuilding my old board from 2016 with new battery etc. I have got myself the malectrics.eu spot welder for my battery. However…

HobbyKing has closed down its EU warehouse so the shipping + customs etc would cost more than the Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000 mAh I was hoping to get.

I have a very hard time finding good information about alternative batteries that are easy to get hold of in EU. Have some of you verified any other batteries than the ones kweld/malectrics.eu recommend? I have a hard time trusting the ratings.

For example, I’m looking at the following battery but don’t want to waste cash on something that is too weak…
3s 5000mAh - 60C - Gens Ace XT90 Bashing

3 Likes

If you put two of those in parallel it would probably be fine. Can you order from China?

1 Like

What your favorite lead free solder?

I can probably order from China but the shipping from HobbyKing was ridiculous now that the EU warehouse was closed. Do you know any other reliable vendors?

Eg. 3s Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000 mAh is ~$37 + $36 shipping + probably $20 import fees = ~$100

Buying two of the 3s 5000mAh - 60C - Gens Ace XT90 Bashing would cost me about $120 though so if I need two it wouldn’t really help cost wise :frowning:

2 Likes

Check what the shipping is from banggood.com for something like this: Xf power 11.1v 5000mah 100c 3s lipo battery t deans plug for rc drone Sale - Banggood.com

1 Like

That’s a lot better, especially if I can do with a single battery, can I trust the 100 C rating? Or would you think I need two in parallel for that one as well?

1 Like

I’ve been ordering from banggood for a long time, and though I can’t speak for this battery, personally, I can speak for banggood itself. They have never let me down with anything I’ve purchased from them. If it says 100c, I’d trust it to be 100c.

Here’s another: Uruav 11.1v 3500mah 120c 3s lipo battery xt60 plug for rc drone Sale - Banggood.com sold out-arrival notice

3 Likes

I usually try to order stuff that has a lot of reviews, the more the better. The 120c one might be better.

1 Like

Keep in mind you’ll probably have to put an XT90 connector on the batteries you order.

Felder ISO-Core Clear, 1kg, Sn96.5, Ag3.0, Cu0,5. Got my roll for 40€, but the prices did triple for some reason. The same solder would be around 120€ by now.

Problably becaus tin and silver prices are going through the roof.

1 Like

I have the maletrics and also a single gens ace, same one as you are describing. It seems to work with a single battery with 0.2mm nickel on a breakoff knife. I think two batteries would be better in any case, anyway I will try welding on an actual battery this weekend and let you know.

3 Likes