The battery builders club

I still haven’t splurged on capacitors and power supply but I want to.

At the moment I run 2 lipos in parallel and that does pretty damn well.

2 Likes

How many should I put in parallel?

3 Likes

I couldn’t say as I have no idea about those cells… @Arzamenable might know a thing or two…

these are what are recommended by keenlab. One gets hot pretty quickly, but 2 is pretty sweet.

The green graphenes seem to be the best choice though, check out the kweld thread :+1:

2 Likes

I puffed my 7.5ah ultimate nanotech 12s pack in Colorado. I’m still butt hurt.

3 Likes

Any idea how/why?

Thanks! I think I will do some more research :slight_smile:

Does everything look fine with this?

4 Likes

I made this thing to help with that. There are a few remixes for different cell size and nickel pattern if you search here and on builders.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3082807

4 Likes

Cool idea!

!

Pack two finished.

2 Likes

Ayy mine arrive tomorrow/today

How many did you end up using? I didn’t get an answer when I asked what you just asked in the Kweld thread.

1 Like

Oh, I don’t have a kWeld yet… I am just trying to figure whether to get capacitors and power supply or use these…

Edit: based on what worked for @glyphiks, it seems like ~500A (ratingwise) was not enough, but ~1000A was. So I would use like 5 in parallel.

1 Like

I’ve not used that welder but I’ve seen others being advised to use the internal rather than the external for consistent welds

2 Likes

Packs made that way can break at the series connections due to lack of flex.
Make sure it is securely mounted and that it is not submitted to any type of flex.

That’s what I actually used for my first battery. It was way worse than this one…

Thanks for the tip.
It will be mounted in a stiff enclosure on a stiff short board. :ok_hand:

Yo I used my kweld for the first time today. Besides from the pens getting hot easily. It’s welds fking great.

4 Likes

Yeah the probes and probe wires do heat up quite quickly. I wrapped my probes in foam and heatshrink :ok_hand:

7 Likes

I use the heat in the probes as a warning system to not push the welder too much.
If I insulate the probes then I will eventually overheat the welder but with the stock probes I have to stop and let them cool down.

6 Likes

Never experienced any heat with my probes, but maybe that’s because I’ve never done more than 10 sequential welds before taking a break to clean the tips lol

1 Like