The battery builders club

Nice Kentucky fried finger. Bring the ketchup…

5 Likes

Looking at all these complications associated with battery welding. I don’t understand why more people don’t use NESE modules. Is it because if cost? Space?

2 Likes

I cover all the metal bits I’m not immediately working on with painters tape. After a lesson or two…

3 Likes

My biggest issue with nese is space. You can fit a much larger battery that is welded.

1 Like

Yeah, I understand that. That’s why I made compact boxes, but you have to solder a bit. Not true to the NESE name anymore but still removes the main issues of welded packs.

This is 10S5P.

3 Likes

I got a standard NESE 12s4p 18650, it’s 190mm wide and a snug fit in my enclosure.
Do you think your version would fit something bigger, like 18650 12s5p or 21700 12s4p?

How much additional width does it add on a 5p?

151.1mm + 18.3*2 mm would be the width of my 18650 module, but you would need some extra space for soldering series wires. I haven’t yet made the 21700 module but you can just scale the 18650 box stl by 21/18 along x and y axis and 70/65 along the last axis to make it fit the 21700 modules.

If you want bigger that what you currently have, I would suggest you go for 12S4P 21700. Because it’s the 8P tab from his website can be divided into 4P and 4P. So basically no wastage.

https://18650.lt/index.php/product/n-e-s-e-21700-tab-set/

1 Like

Just set up the Malectrics spot welder after replacing a bad Lipo.

Any issue running both of these lipos in parallel? Too much amperage? They are Turnigy 60-120C 3S 5AH.

All I have on hand at the moment is some 0.15x8mm. At just 10ms, the nickel was secure with it tearing off the positive side to be removed. 13ms was the setting that you see the tear off image below. These are 25R cells, I bought 5 for practicing on. 15ms gets me the same result on the negative side

I tried doubling the 0.15 and welding to the negative side, at 28ms was getting a firm hold with a little material tear off on removal. I have some 0.2 on the way, not sure if this’ll get through 0.3 consistently yet.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I like how clean this looks. :+1: Do you still put an enclosure over that? It doesn’t seem there’s space for it.

Thank you :). I wanted to, but never got around to it. Now I have 700km and I haven’t had any issue, so I don’t think I will put something over it. I have ridden a few times in slightly wet roads too, but it’s been good so far.

1 Like

I guess you have a lot of clearance under the board so you’re not hitting the bottom of the board. On my board, the enclosure is taking a lot of beating. If I didn’t have it, both VESC and battery pack would be long dead. :slight_smile: Probably not something you need to worry about. Maybe just covering everything with a waterproof fabric would be good. Attach it with velcro. Simple and effective for keeping the water away.

1 Like

Second battery build:
Still learning the spot welding skill set.
Please critique!

2 Likes

Try to make sure you weld on the positive terminal directly and not in the airspace between the positive terminal and the outer rim of the cell as welding on air is causing holes to be blown through the nickel.

6 Likes

My critiques would be

A. Get a better welder. Your welds look extremely inconsistent. kWeld is amazing.

B. Always make sure your probes are pressed on to the surface you are welding to. It looks as if in a few spots your probe was maybe just off the pad on the positive side of the cell and that’s why you have those blowouts

3 Likes

Thanks @M.Hboards and @glyphiks!

I cleaned all with alcohol and am pressing it down as hard as reasonable.

The tips are so wide that it is hard to do more than two punches on the positive terminal without accidentally blowing out. Though I only blew 2 out of the 200 welds I did. Improving over last time. I also used thinner nickel (0.15 vs 0.20) and the pen instead of the leads.

I assume that I have already outgrown this welder and should upgrade soon?

1 Like

You outgrew it before you bought it. It really is an inferior product. Your money would have been better spent putting it towards a kWeld :wink:

Seriously, they are the best. And worth every cent.

2 Likes

Corrected that for you :wink:
I prefer to buy tools that last.

1 Like

You are a clever man. Proceed.

2 Likes

It is then.
What’s the better setup - with batteries or capacitors?

1 Like