The battery builders club

thanks!
I may put a thin sheet of acrylic or that stuff they use for yard signs between the 2 packs to keep them apart, just not sure how hot it can get and if it’d melt anything sandwiched inbetween.
or I may just wrap the 2 packs separately, hmmn?

How about simply putting two layers of fishpaper and some foam between them? Standard stuff.

1 Like

thank you

Best way to do that (IMO) is as follows:

• get the wire soaked with solder
  • put a pea-size dab of solder on the nickel
  • put the wire on the dab of solder and add heat from the top; keep heating it from the top until the wire goes all the way through the dab of solder; all the solder should be fluid at that point

That way you should get a solid joint. The wire will get really hot, probably too hot to hold in your hand. Best to hold it with pliers.

Since you’re going to do the soldering away from the battery pack, you can take your time, which is good.

8 Likes

:raised_hands:

2 Likes

not sure what’s going on here, i have made 2 good joints that won’t pull apart but most of my attempts are like this.
I’m soldering on top of an aluminum plate, could that be taking all the heat away, or maybe my soldering iron doesn’t have enough ooomf?

following these steps

I like ABS for this, nice and cheap and easy to get ahold of. Could of course print something. If it’s getting hot enough to bother abs/acrylic/pla, no bueno…

Are you using flux? 60/40 or 63/37 (not lead free)?

Try soldering on top of wood or silicone or some other insulating material.

If still having trouble, you can maybe scratch the nickel a bit with sandpaper, to help with oxidation and to give some teeth to the surface.

using some flux, and the solder is 60/40 (not sure if it’s lead free), i will try scratching up the surface a bit and grab a brick or some wood to solder on, appreciate the advice!

1 Like

just tried it on a piece of wood and the solder melted well and made a solid joint,
the aluminum must have been sucking all the heat out of it, thanks!

7 Likes

asking for a friend,
if they put the battery on their leg and it briefly shorted on their belt, could it damage the battery? (they sent me this photo)

3 Likes

Sparks? Scorched nuts? If nothing caught fire or melted, it’s very very likely fine.

2 Likes

What’s the pink/red/magenta stuff?

Also where are the fishpaper rings :grimacing:

4 Likes

Also Ive shorted a TB pack around 4 times by mashing the positive and negatives sides of the pack together. Besides scarring myself forever, it was fine. So you should be as well :+1:

1 Like

small spark, one nut retreated a little but nothing caught fire

6 Likes

great, i’ll let my friend know, thanks

1 Like

it’s leftover red Sharpie where i was marking the cuts, should there be fishpaper rings on the negative ends? :slightly_smiling_face:
i will be covering the sides in kapton tape

1 Like

This is from a 12s6p 30q, 2 10awg wires dissapeared with a huge bang,
Dont tell the guy to relax hah

23 Likes

I meant his battery would be fine, that looks gnar though.

2 Likes

i am now not relaxed!
removing all metal from the area and getting into a neoprene jumpsuit…
dang dude

5 Likes