The battery builders club

This is where Andy’s method shines.

2 Likes

Also just for security, is there any chance that the BMS is not working properly, and that’s causing the issue?

Everything possible.
But if something wrong with the bms, you usually see the smoke already in the moment you connect the bms and not only after the charger is connected.
The smart charger should work from the moment the balance wires are connected to the battery. So in your case you should already be able to get access to the data via bt modul and app.

1 Like

In the destructions it says to lower cell voltage to 3.7v/cell, I got a 80% charged 12s6p, how important is this? Did you do it?

That looks like a atx connector. I had a fun time crimping a couple hundred cable ends to make fully custom sleeve cables for my pc. I dont know if I will ever do that again…so much work.

1 Like

Can you guys take a look at my nese setup? I have it split in 2 pieces, top and bottom both 6s. I put cells in the 1st layer and when I got to the top right module my cells started heating up. Any advice would appreciated

a photo would help :wink: The drawing seems ok.

1 Like

As @visnu777 said, drawing looks good and picture would help. If you would short something your cells wouldn’t just get hot, you would definitely understand that you wired something wrong.
Cells could get warm if you connect them in parallel with different voltage and they start to balance there own thou.

Did only one P-group get hot/warm or more?

1 Like

Sorry for the questions guys but I dont want to blow the house up!

So this llt smart bms, I want to wire it charge only (its replacing my d140)

Am I correct to wire it as per my d140? Ie. Connect P- and B-, and omit b0?

1 Like

@visnu777. It was weird. 1p group got hot. I removed the cells from it, then the next p group got hot. I only had 1 cell in each pgroup. I’ll get pics shortly

So that works,

Can anyone explain what’s going on in these screen shots taken while charging please?

What do you think? :slight_smile: First time with my maletronics welder. The nickel tears if you try to pull it off.

2 Likes

Is that the same battery for both screen shots? Why is group 1 so low?

Anyone have good ideas on making this thick copper wire stick in the bend of the nickel strips? Tried spotwelding on the small bit of nickel on the top, but got undercurrent errors with my KWeld (I guess I just couldn’t get the connection strong enough), and soldering didn’t work either for some reason. (Solder just wouldn’t stick to the copper.)

Should I try spotwelding again, but maybe put one electrode on the nickel, and the other against the copper bar?

That’s what I’m asking, during charge it goes from normal green 4.xxx v to the red bar for a few seconds, I’m guessing it’s part of the charge/balance process.

I cant find any info for the app to explain what im seeing.

Hey guys, just wanted to touch base and share what I found with the NESE problems I was having. Turns out @Agniusm fucked up and sent me a module that was assembled wrong. I ordered (6) 2s4p modules, he sent (5) of the 2s4p and (1) 1s8p. They look exactly the same except the bridge between the P groups is broken between them. On the 1s8p the bridge Is in tact, causing the entire pack to short out.

you can see the middle module goes all the way across all 8 cells. If you are buying a NESE make sure to check everything over really well. Im now out an entire P group, plus the time is takes to order and receive it.

1 Like

You misunderstood how these work. The 1s8p is meant for the end of the battery, it is connecting both halves of the pack. @Agniusm might have send you this because normally that is what you need for a 12s4p NESE flat pack, also a double row pack would need this.

4 Likes

I have the same on a bms from their new batch, I see the bms for faulty and have ordered a new one. It only happens when the bms is balancing

1 Like

@visnu777 actually no, I understand how these work. I did not order a 12s4p module. I ordered (6) 2s4p modules. I had the pack planned for a double stack with both terminals on one end. I knew what I ordered and why. It is not up to someone else to decide to change my order and not notify me of said change.

2 Likes