The battery builders club

How thicck is that copper braid on that pack? I’m asking because im building my first pack and i dont know how thick would i need.
Sorry For my Hunglish :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

thick

1 Like

I think it was 15mm but is folded it over

Do you have a link for the magnets I need a few

Please forgive my shoddy welds, but do you guys think I should redo some of these welds? I didn’t do a good job of cutting the nickel to size, and was wondering if the nickel could short with the casing for the cells on the edges of each pack (or if it’s fine) :

2 Likes

I recommend checking this thread out for what you could need:

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would use silicone-insulated copper wire for any series connections that are going to be flexing or vibrating. For some parallel connections and non-flex series connections, copper braid is okay imho

3 Likes

I did some work with copper and as long as you can get it to play nice it works really well. Just make sure the braid doesn’t get saturated

6 Likes

Surgical clamps work wonders from what I’ve experienced but I’m pretty sure you knew.

The braids work fine in flexy packs, just as long as they are horizontal like in your packs, not vertical.

1 Like

Vertical would be totally fine as long as you have at least an inch between the solder points

You forgot a weld :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

The listing I bought is gone but this is similar: Amazon link

@b264 I found this page listing conductor currents for flat copper braid, might want to add that to the conductor currents list:

https://www.copperbraid.co.uk/current-ratings/

4 Likes

Am I blind I can’t see it :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Mm questionnable I kind of used 18650 fishpaper rings on my model 3 2170 batteries

it’s not the smartest but better than nothing :wink:

First battery I ever built/owned and it. was. SCARY. but I ain’t no poussy so I just did it anyways.

it’s a 10s6p with 2170 model 3 batteries and a 10s 60A smart BMS

I may or may not need help to parameter the bms correctly

overvoltage
overvoltage release
undervoltage
undervoltage release
ETC

1 Like

Those numbers look fine where they’re at.

Yeah, battery building really brings home just how power-dense these things are. Crazy amounts of power on tap here, just waiting for an opportunity to ruin a day. Best to treat them with much respect.

2 Likes

Yep that’s what I did, took me some time to get to a finished product with all the precautions and respect to make it even if my mom kept telling me to be careful while spotwelding (did 1s6p for all 10 and spotwelded all of them together in the end) wish I had bought a better spotwelder tho

How do these welds look?

2 Likes

A little weak to be honest

3 Likes