The battery builders club

Sorry man, I read 50cm.

Apologies, check the chart tho.

I used some recently, I want to say it’s on the order of 7a in the acceptable ‘range’. But I might have cheated up to just call it 10A.

1 Like

Plan so far

“These” are the things i’m asking about. I’m planning to have 3 strips per series connection. How many do I need?

1 Like

Tracking. What are you trying to pull out of it?

Assuming it’s real, solid nickel, I’d call it good for 20a continuous. Personally, I’d just put battery Max and 30 and feel serial connections after a reasonably hard ride that wasn’t Esc limited by current.

Sun is setting, don’t trust me, look at tables. :call_me_hand:

1 Like

I’ve only gotten about a max of 30 amps cont and maybe 35 peak riding with lipos(at 5s, going to 6s for more speed. 5s tops out at 20 mph for me and 6s should get 22-23).

1 Like

Has anyone tried this out?

4 Likes

A gentleman and a scholar. I will book mark this, bc I am always looking for it too.

2 Likes

I’ve seen it too.

@iamasalmon, ‘4 gear power’ aside, if they would post sample welds of real nickel with common strip thicknesses, I’d say why not?

I’d only trust it was real if they took a diegrinder to it first or after Welding, but in the same frame.

I will order one in a few weeks will post a review

2 Likes

can I use these car fuses to fuse my charge port?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E5MM63C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@b264

haha, actually, when I saw this I went hunting around for nickel thin enough to weld with this beast. I would have ended uo with both thin nickel and the kiddie grade welder, but I couldn’t find any. Better this way, I ended up ordering a malectrics, which should handle .2mm no problem. I like thicc nickel. I mean why not?

That would be great.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I’m new to the esk8 world. I’ve ordered a spot weld kit from maletrics, what cheap batteries do you recommend practicing on? And what website do you order all the accessories from? Thanks, I’m excited about picking up this new hobby and learning a ton.

Yes, but smaller exists. What rating are you going to use?

Yes, just like @Arzamenable said. But the ones actually rated for this are even smaller. But yeah, I’ve used those before and they are fine.

These work well for charging up to 4A - 5A

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0997075WXN?qs=bpnLQM2ZShwcHyOYzoHBAA%3D%3D

I messed around with Regular double As

If there is ‘practice ‘ to be done, it is with the actual nickel you intend to use. Start at the minimum pulse setting and work your way up until the nickel sticks, strong enough to pull off and leave behind a small divot of nickel on the cell surface.

1 Like

Yes you can use those fuses.

I agree with Practoce, I would recommend for most when ordering batteries you find some cheap cells and order a few. When I first received my welder, I bought 5 25R cells that were on sale for dirt cheap along with the 30qs I ordered. I drained 3 of those 25R cells to 0.0 V and used them for my first practice welds.
Weld, tear off, inspect, adjust, repeat. Get your settings dialed in for each strip thickness, stacking strips etc.

Create safe conditions to weld, organize your workspace and do your homework. Before I welded on a practice cell with voltage I knew exactly what settings I wanted for the welder for each strip thickness and for multiple strips.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice, I’ll start ordering some nickle strips and some cheap batteries. I’ll continue to read and try to learn as much as I can while I wait for the welder.