The battery builders club

Based on experience the final shrink wrap over the whole pack is the main structural component, my flat pack with folded nickel was as bendy as a limp dong before wrapping, currently it holds shape when held by the last cell group (5 cells long)

k thank you got some silicone glue that i will use

Make sure the silicone doesn’t smell of vinegar.
You should use a neutral cure silicone.

1 Like

What if it smells of burnt toast? fa ]sf

2 Likes

Will check what one it is

1 Like

At what max current do the balancers work at? Like china BMS, DieBieMS or other smart BMS? Anyone know off the top of their head?

edit: To answer my own question. It seems to be < 100ma

2 Likes

Yep @bigben I have the vinegar one
Where can I get half decent proper silicone glue from in U.K.
Also is it worth going hot glue or is silicone better

Hot glue should be fine for your application.
If you want silicone, Screwfix or Toolstation are taking orders online. Look for a neutral cure version.

1 Like

K thanks

I actually ran out of hot glue and have been to lazy to replenish my glue sticks
Maybe will do that now

Just finished up my printed battery so I thought I’d post the last few pics here

Stuck it in my street board and took it for a ride yesterday. All seems good.

11 Likes

both melt at least 120+c if your cells get that hot, you have a much bigger problem then loose cells, also your cells are hold with the welds on the nickel, which is way stronger than hot glue / sillicone, they are in place just to hold the cells while welding

1 Like

That looks

nice.

3 Likes

Soldering balance wires will be hard.
One second to tin the cell.

how do you like those 3d printed spacers? I guess you don’t have many miles with them, but do they hold well?
I am thinking about going with something similar for every future battery I will ever build. No fishpaper between groups and each cell can breathe.

2 Likes

I dint test this partucalar design yet, but I am worry only about this ears

Not my first 3d-printed battery case. The all hold well.

I was thinking more like just spacers, not whole case. To long printing time and unnecessary weight. But your case looks nice! :grin:

1 Like

I wanted modular battery for flex deck. Will set 3 of this 10s2p in parallel. Previous design was heavier, It has double wall thickness - one for spacer and one for case.

1 Like

Yeah they seem just as strong as spacers you can buy. Imo you loose a little space in exchange for better cooling and an easier potentially safer build.

3 Likes

Like this? My hands are a little shaky today unfortunately so will try tomorrow.

3 Likes

Sorry to detail

This happened near where I live, an explosive fire originating from a smoke / vape shop. Just happened yesterday.

Still no cause but I’m putting my money on lithitum cells, probably improperly stored.

Goes without saying but please be careful handling these cells.

4 Likes