The battery builders club

Yes I used the static balancing option and was able to recover the “bad groups” :slight_smile:

So, I just found a video that may be of interest to anyone who has ever tried to solder to the aluminum tabs of a lipo cell.

6 Likes

Ooooooh yeeeeaaah @CiscoV

5 Likes

got some goodies too :yum:

3 Likes

Derelict Robot Industries

From the great goof himself

4 Likes

Warning : accidental long post incoming . . .

My lazy diy battery pack.

The goal here was to make a printed cell holder so that I don’t have to do all this gluing insulating fish paper boring bullshit.

before someone states the obvious . . .YES . . . i know i can buy one and its probably cheaper. however wanted one a particular size and shape and in future i might want to add my own geometry onto this part. im done with waiting for parts during the pandemic.

Design It:

The main thing that makes CAD for this super easy was an idea i had to abuse my Fusion360 Battery Pack Script

First step is to generate the cells. I used 18650 so used 18.6mm diameter and 19.4mm as the spacing (same as standard cell holders)

Next we made another pack where the cells are a few mm narrower but also a few mm longer. this will be the space needed to weld the ends of the tabs.

Then i make a 3rd pack which will be the actual cell holder. The width is the cell width + the desired wall thickness, in my case i used a width of 20.2mm. (20.2 - 18.6/2) = 0.8m wall thickness which is 2 passes of my 0.4mm nosle. height is the desired height of the cell holder, I went 10mm.

I then move the black group down a fraction so that i get a lip on the bottom to hold the cels in place. I used 0.4mm so that its 2 layers when i print.

Finally i use a combine on the black part to remove all the other cylinders

leaving me with a finished holder. it could be printed as is but i added some fillets for fun.

For the other side i just mirrored this part

Print It

I made 12s6p cause that what cells i had but you should be able to fit up to 12s10p on the Ender 3 print bed.

I printed using PETG for a slightly better temperature resistance and used a brim to make sure things stayed down during printing.

Clean up is not super critical as it wont really be seen inside the pack.

Once you have done both parts (careful cause they are not the same) you can fill it with your cells. I used some recycled E-bike cells i had laying around.

Weld It

To make this super easy im using 25mm nickel and my bodgy malectrics setup.

Nickel seems to push down and make contact well enough. I probably went overboard with the welds but why not.

On the other side I let the positive and negative nickels overhang so that i can solder larger cables onto these tabs.

Im planning to print a case for this but it think a pack using this construction would easily fit in a peli case or similar.

15 Likes

Very nice :ok_hand: i really need to make some time to fix my printer. I miss whipping up bits and pieces.

I finished up my Neo battery while waxing up my demonseed mold.

10 Likes

Evolve gen2 pack, just ran out of solder :sob:

6 Likes

1st gen bottom two, 2nd gen top two in the last pic.

4 Likes

Damn I thought the configuration I’m working on was funky. It’s pretty tame compared to this.

Following Alan’s 10s4p layout for a single stack Moonshine Sidekick build. Gonna be nice and lightweight on some Venom Mach 1’s!
Battery:

12 Likes

Interested to see your next move…

5 Likes

It’ll look a little something like this. Still working out how I want to do it. Materials and such

13 Likes

Cheers. I’ve got a bit of similar battery Tetris to surmount too.

8 Likes

Started remodelling a pack.

Really pleased to see how strong the welds are.

4 Likes

It lives! What do y’all recommend to wrap a battery if i dont have big heat shrink and dont want to wait 6 months to get it from China?

looking good, my only concern with going overboard on welds is making the nickel brittle in that area

1 Like

Gonna have to rig this same way. Might stick some acrylic in between the packs where the little spaces are.

12 Likes

1-2-3…16?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Is someone testing a Storm Core? :thinking:

5 Likes

No point not being prepared is there? :crazy_face:
You never know your luck.

8 Likes