The battery builders club

I’m chill, I got nothing against hot glue. You just bad at applying it lol

2 Likes

Let’s say I made my series connections like this, how many layers of 10mm .15 nickel would I need for 60 amps?

Two is fine.

1 Like

Lol I was just worried for the sake of the pack my guy. U are more experienced so what do I know :yum:

1 Like

Dope! That’s what I was thinking for 60 amps, will also use #12 wire for leads

Looks like that nickel should only be asked to carry 10-12 amps

3 Likes

That would be why I use hot glue and as little as possible. Trying to avoid extra weight, all that silicone will add up.

1 Like

I see you, according to that chart I should do 3 layers because these cells are 30 amps cells

Are you making this pack for another guy on the forum?

1 Like

Yes sir

1 Like

That’s cool man! Hopefully he can learn a little too in the process with you documenting it, very cool

1 Like

60/12=5 strips thick!

but…
I’ve heard you don’t need to calculate based on cell max capacity. On the other hand 30amps per cell is serious business. I used some fat copper braid for my series connections on the HG6 12s5p I made

3 Likes

Right you will not be drawing 60 amps from each cell, 2p 60 amp battery means you are drawing 30 amps per battery cell

It’s for continuous rating. 2 layers will carry continuous 30A no problem, for peak spikes to 60A, double that number is fine. If the battery is going to hold 60A continuous, those cells will heat up a fair bit too, so total battery system cooling would be needed.

2 Likes

Did you spot weld the copper braid?

So you think 4 layers will be the safer way to go?

I think it’s excessive. But it depends. If they want to run 60A off a 2P pack, even with 4 layers that pack is going to have major heat problems.

2 Likes

Gotcha. Ok I will consult the builder and see what he is planning on. But yeah I was thinking the same 60 amps of 2p is a hot pack!

I know it will be a single drive build

I like to solder nickel. @BluPenguin details his method in the post just before mine linked below.

3 Likes