The battery builders club

Wouldn’t that just be like 1mm or 2mm max assuming your using 0.5 or 0.75 mm thick fish paper.

Fishpaper is usually secured with fiber tape

its for on/off switch, which u don’t have to use, just unplug it if u don’t need it

1 Like

Because reasons. I mean you are right but it never ends up with the dimensions you expect

How much powah (joules) is a good starting point for welding 0.2mm precut nickel? I may use PCBs from @DuckBatterySystems. If so should I use more power?

3 Likes

40-60J I think but been a minute. Prob more info in Kweld spot welder

1 Like

can you explain why the middle is 90deg off? for series connection reasons?

unrelated but possibly useful idea I was pondering is using flex PCBs for balance wiring on packs you are making more than 1-2 of.

1 Like

40J is a good starting point, see how that goes and tune from there

3 Likes

My guess is it probably has something to do with space related things. I was wondering why (because the middle layer configuration is nicer to weld up and connect in series) he wouldn’t just make the top layer like that too but then I realized If he did that the BMS might not fit within the footprint of the middle row which could be undesirable. Idk tho, just my random guess.

1 Like

I use 55J. But 40-60J is a good starting range for some test welds. At that range you can only do ~50 welds with active cooling before the lipo starts overheating though, so get used to frequent breaks.

4 Likes

There is some good info in the PDF manual for the KWeld.

2 Likes

I wonder why the step up is non-linear… :thinking:

1 Like

I think it is because it is three dimensional heat dissipation so it would cubed output increase to get the same heat into the welds. Not an expert though

Could very well be, but then the 50 to 100 step up should be even wider though.

1 Like

0.1 to 0.2 is a 100% increase in thickness.
0.2 to 0.3 is only a 50% increase in thickness.

Not a perfectly fitting explanation but works out pretty well.

2 Likes

Idk if you can see it that way, because the rate the thickness increases is still linear. I like the explanation that thicker material draws heat away quicker better, sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Something something surface area

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you but the thickness increase response isn’t linear…

2 Likes

I just wanted to say that I love that you charted this :smiley:

5 Likes

Yes it does, not in percentage but in mm :sweat_smile:

.1mm > .2mm > .3mm

I never seen someone measure stock size steps in percent, that’s a first one for me. :rofl: Love the graph, really makes this confusing data very clear. :laughing:

1 Like