The battery builders club

huh it has the brains and IO built in for making a automated Pgroup welder

4 Likes

IMO always bypass BMS for discharge on an esk8.

prefer brakes over battery. plus vescs low voltage cutoff start/end do most of what you need.

2 Likes
7 Likes

That’s cool

Mmmm push those metal bits into the tiny + and - gap

3 Likes

My solder spool was feeding through this thing. while laying down solder pools, I got sparks when the solder touched the nickel. This thing is metal. What’s going on? I know it’s a short somehow but I don’t understand …why/how. I was able to finish once I removed the spool from the feeder but I need to understand what happened.

I couldn’t imagine how from just that station alone either. When pulling the solder to pool onto the nickel are you sure it didn’t cross both positive and negative battery terminals? Also, I imagine you’ve done this a number of times at this point and it was the first time this spark occurred? If so I think examining your setup at that point in time is more likely the reason than the station itself. Maybe a pic of what you were soldering?

1 Like

This is the second time it happened. It sparked when the solder touched. The iron was already on the nickel. Some time ago I burned a hole in my spool of solder so it looks like this now. One of the strands may have been touching something.

3 Likes

:man_shrugging: yeah not sure. I guess double check next time that you don’t have any floppy battery terminal wire touching the station (i.e. main positive or main negative, or even a wire meant to bridge packs)? That’s all I can think of. Maybe someone else has experienced this.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean.

If these are touching?

The connections that come off of your pack. Or the connections which come off of the series connection. Unless you haven’t gotten that far then disregard my comment.

1 Like

Nothing wrong in your picture/setup

1 Like

Is that station grounded? That might explain it.

2 Likes

I was soldering a series connection and decided to add more solder. When the solder touched the solder joint, it sparked. The second time I was doing the same but soldering the main positive.

Example of what I was doing

2 Likes

How would I check?

2 Likes

I have a 12s battery here and accompanying charger, the battery is about 45V and the charger goes from red to green when plugged in but goes back to green shortly after.

Testing voltage it looks like the charger goes up to about 46.5V then switches and the voltage goes down to the battery SOC

The battery seems to work, gonna try another charger here.

Any idea why this is doing this?

What do you think about doing a battery of Samsung INR21700-50E 4900mAh - 9.8A?

1 Like

50E are popular in larger esk8 packs. Using the search function should give you plenty of results.

2 Likes

These are good cells for cruisers or other boards that don’t require very much amperage. Like most high capacity cells, you will need to put these into a pack with a large amount of parallel groups to avoid excessive voltage sag and premature cell aging. 50E sag pretty bad and tend to get hot when drawing just 10 amps so I would recommend putting them into at least a 12s8p configuration to avoid the issues previously mentioned.

3 Likes