The battery builders club

I did wipe this stuff down with alcohol.
it was only 91%.

but I did think of cleaning the surfaces.

since I was able to blast through other nickel I am assuming my 2 batteries are still ok

1 Like

Wow, there has been quite a discussion about my battery pack, haven’t been here for a while, will have to read it later.

I’m here, I didn’t know my instagram shitposting will be noticed, lmao. Anything you are interested about the pack? I wanted to make build thread for this board, but have been postponing it for a long time.

Nah, there is no need to mark voltages since I always balance all of them to 3.7V. This is capacity measured discharging it from 4.1V to 3.3V at 1.5A rate. These are reused from other packs so I wanted to spread them to a new pack evenly. The white/blue/yellow dot marks the pack it originated from.

Thanks for tagging me :+1:

Some cells have the capacity lowered, I’m not sure if the ones marked with yellow dot are genuine, I bought the board here on forum that had all sorts of problems and these cells have lower capacity and higher IR. Or the guy used the board a lot more than he claimed. But the rest are genuine 30Q. It’s not full capacity, it’s just way for me to detect bad cells and to compare cells between them.

4 Likes

@infiniteoffset
Cool, cool. I’m glad u got to peruse most of comments here. My battery notation when assembling used cells is nonstandard. Kudos if you checked the capacity of every cell from a batch all from the same donor pack.

I probably would have only checked voltages after a prolonged sit at a balanced voltage for the whole set and removed the outliers that dipped. But that only looks at p groups. (I know, I know.)

For maximum rigor, both capacity and voltage testing of single cells is best.

Don’t take the criticism here the wrong way either. Judging from my past battery instagram posts, I deserve a knock on the door to see if I’m still alive. It’s a demanding group, professional battery builders and testers that sell packs to strangers frequent this thread.

:love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

What is the purpose of the PCBs? I don’t really understand how using these would be better or easier than the standard approaches I’ve seen here.

Makes it so you can weld skinnier nickel strips right onto the PCB mainly

They are a bit old now, our methods have evolved somewhat

4 Likes

Realistically they make no sense for the average person, or even builder. They were a stepping stone towards full PCB batteries, like these which have been adopted by a few companies in their production boards.

If you’re building the same battery all day every day, you can use these PCB’s to just pump out P groups in a more efficient manner, stack them up and pass them down the production line to move along the process of building a complete board.

5 Likes

Also they look cool. Main reason for me. :smiley:

You can use narrower nickel strip (<18mm wide) and make connections from the individual cells to the copper bus tracks, and then use wire or braid to make the series connections from one PCB to the next.

Basically if you have wide enough nickel to do the folded-over-tab method, these are obsolete. But if you have a bunch of 12mm nickel (for example) and want to use it up, these can be useful.

2 Likes

Where did you buy this stuff from?

1 Like

Ali.
January of 2021.

info on link seems pretty murky…

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?orderId=8122905232776840&productId=32850391604&edm_click_module=order_detail&tracelog=rowan&rowan_id1=buyerAcceptGoodsTimeoutMainToBuyerV2_1_en_US_2021-01-22&rowan_msg_id=6840812290523276$b1ab886ef62d4020a112b798c272b508&ck=in_edm_other

1 Like

This link isn’t working for me but yeah idk who the go to nickel supply is.

1 Like

Last time I bought off steel city was about 3 months ago and it tested pure

1 Like

steel city is solid, but i heard its gone

I bought nickel from 0.2mm * 30mm Pure Nickel Plate Strap Strip Sheets 99.96% pure nickel for Battery electrode electrode Spot Welding Machine|Tool Parts| - AliExpress and it didn’t corrode after scuffing with 150 grit and leaving it in heavily salted water for about 5 days so it should be legit. They do also have 0.2x50mm if you check their store.

2 Likes

should this battery not be used?

1 Like

Depends on how you collect the energy on the last row.

i didnt build it but the it does not have the rings on it or rounded nickel

For packs that aren’t mobile that’s usually fine. What is that pack going to used for?

a trampa

Then rings are a good addition, although there are rings built into those cells. More importantly imo is how the ampere get taken off that strip, because it’s very thin looking.