The battery builders club

https://www.amazon.com/CG100325FT-Electrical-Insulating-Paper-Light/dp/B01LWNTDE2/ref=pd_sbs_2/138-5064222-0426960?pd_rd_w=AgWRL&pf_rd_p=43345e03-9e2a-47c0-9b70-a50aa5ecbd5c&pf_rd_r=ET31F651MJJE5YS4630X&pd_rd_r=8dce102f-f933-430e-9dad-46715f0461e0&pd_rd_wg=aOqTO&pd_rd_i=B01LWNTDE2&psc=1

145ptags.com is 0.25mm there is no adesive on it tho

1 Like

A utility razor is great for calibration.

4 Likes

cheers man

gonna watch a couple videos tonight of what settings i care about on the kweld (to confusing for me) and then will test it out

@anubis was kind enough to send me a couple practise cells to use tomorrow

1 Like

this diagram good? (havent shown the welds on the opposite side but they are the in between ones) (ignore the black scribbled out bit)

12s6p p42a

You’d have to do nickel on nickel welds for the 9-12P packs but its a fine design. Your current will also kinda be bottlenecked by them but its still like 100+ amps capable

1 Like

would the connection of 3 cells not be enough? its 30mm nickel at 0.2 so can carry quite a bit of current
50-85amps from one cell to another is the rating it says on the conductor thread. i thought it would be 3x that.
may be wrong though

can I like… spray adhesive it on?

2 Likes

yeah ofc you can also use double sided tape both work better than hotglue/ tape

1 Like

Best kweld setup tutorial?
Anyone got some good recommendations

I’m not sure on my recommendation. Mr Ego might have something against me if I share it.

Edit: try searching up kweld set up for spotwelding batteries. There should be some in the forums.

1 Like

I ordered some 50mm nickel stripping from an Aliexpress supplier, and though it passes the saltwater test, I’m not sure it’s real. It’s far too rigid, nothing like the dead soft nickel I am used to. It feels more like stainless steel, but it’s also magnetic, like nickel should be. Anyone know of any other tests I can do? The only other test I know of, is the spark test. I guess I’ll do that next.

I wonder if it’s possible that it is nickel, it’s just not dead soft nickel. An alloy. Or, it’s fake, and designed to skirt known testing methods. I’m sure that’s entirely possible. Here’s the link: 0.2mm x 50mm 99.96% Pure Nickel Plate Strap Strip Sheets pure nickel for Battery electrode Spot Welding Machine 18650 nickel|nickel plate|nickel 18650nickel sheets nickel strips - AliExpress

edit: hmm, perhaps it’s just not annealed? another thing that’s kind of strange is it measures nearly .25mm thick, not the .2mm it’s supposed to be.

I can see it now. I’m going to have to cut it into strips and load test it. Something I’ve never done. Guess I’ll learn something.

Just read the damn manual. There is everything you wanna know in there.

3 Likes

got it
thanks

calibrated set to 50joules and got some awesome welds. charging up my batteries now and hopefully will work well tomorrow

2 Likes

I weld with 2x 4s 5Ah packs in parallel and use 38J to weld 0.2mm nickel. Other builders in the forum may use higher settings.

1 Like

mine are 3s and 2x 4Ah in parallel. might lower it a bit but the welds i did today didnt seem to hot

1 Like

I get 55J with 1 3s 5ah lipo

1 Like

ok sounds like im in the right ballpark range.

small adjustments will be made and seems like it should work good

1 Like

I may actually go and get a second lipo lol, my wires got noticibly warm after about 5 welds. Battery uses 10awg leads which is the problem

2 Likes

Hitting it with a Dremel cutoff wheel to check for sparks is usually another good test, however I once had what I believe was nickel plated steel somehow not spark? Was strange.

1 Like

If you have a good scale (.01 or .001g) and a good way to make a precise cut (like a guillotine cutter or quality scissors) you should be able to weigh and compare densities. Whatever Chinesium steel alloy used in fake nickel could come fairly close to pure nickel tho…

1 Like