The battery builders club

No truer words has been said.

2 Likes

Stop. I got nothing more to add in terms of suggestions on what to do with your battery, as everyone already did a great job, but Iā€™m getting low-key triggered reading this whole conversation. You canā€™t come seek for advise and then also act like the professional. Either you get advice, listen and mostly shut the fuck up (discussion on why itā€™s actually better, so you can actually learn from it instead of just taking someones word for it is really good though :slight_smile:) or you do your own thing. That goes for anywhere, not just on here.

It takes so much time and patience to give THAT GOOD advice like @BenjaminF just did. To show him some respect, I really think you should remake that part of the pack. Itā€™s litterally only 2 pieces (technically 3ā€¦) of nickel strip and some more work, but the finished result will increase drastically.

Face it, youā€™ve messed up. It sucks having to redo a WHOLE pack, but this is just a minor part of it, and would you rather use something youā€™re not totally happy about?

I get it, many people would actually use it because they donā€™t fucking care, which pisses me totally off in terms of batteries, but this is litterally your home and family on the line.

I know there are a lot of worse packs out there being made, but that doesnā€™t matter. Just like you canā€™t ever compare yourself to someone else, but only yourself yesterday.

Now if you ever want to sell batteries, you really got no way around redoing it. Shit like that can and will ruin reputation by showing you honestly donā€™t care.

Just my 5 cents of rant. Should probably also mention that itā€™s just my opinion and not actually facts.

8 Likes

^^^^ this.
@Halbj613

If youā€™re gonna ask for advice from the gurus, then itā€™s usually best practice to actually listen to and follow the advice you get from the gurus, no?

If you wanna figure it out for yourself, go nuts. It ainā€™t my board or my house, so it ainā€™t my business.
But if you actively seek advice, and receive said advice, and then just go ā€œnah, my way is betterā€ and ignore it?
You could have saved time and effort for both you and the people youā€™re asking advice from, by just skipping the steps in the middle.

6 Likes

Ergh

As correct as everything you said isā€¦

Shua has been around and has the title that he has for a reasonā€¦ Iā€™m honestly pretty floored he came so far as to make a battery as decent as that compared to how he, uh, used to be.

What Iā€™m getting at tho, is that @BenjaminF knows who heā€™s engaging in conversation with. If he really didnā€™t want to, he just wouldnā€™t in the first place & presumably wonā€™t in the future if heā€™s bothered by the response.

Hmm. Why am I trying to be a voice of reason regarding who to not be triggered by. Must be much past my bedtime lol.

If heā€™s attempting to be a forum battery building vendor then yeah thatā€™s definitely a bad look & he should get his shit together. I only recall reading that he was just making things for personal friends or something tho, or maybe I dreamed that idk

3 Likes

Haha, that is actually so damn spot on. I think I remember one of his first builds and letā€™s just sayā€¦ it was badā€¦

Absolutely.

In the end, I donā€™t care about what Shua does as long as he knows the risk. That goes for everyone really. What seriously triggeres me is when it can potentially be catastrophic for people who are not even in charge of it. His parents as an example.

Just like riding. I donā€™t care how crazy you ride, but the moment you start to put cars, pedestrians, animals or whatever in danger, I care and lose all respect for you no matter who you are.

That said, it also seems like there is hope for Shua. I mean, just see how far he has moved from when he first joined the forum. Like you said, he has built a decent battery. I really just hoped a big knock in the head would help him wake up and improve like he has done before.

I also remember that, I thinkā€¦ He still has huge responsibility though. Iā€™d probably even go as far to say much bigger. If I knew nothing about batteries, I think Iā€™d be more likely to believe what my friend said, rather than some random forum.

1 Like

im sorry to you and to anyone else who misunderstood me.

once @BenjaminF said that i immediately took off the nickel there and changed to a single piece (managed to do it without ruining anything)

i was merely questioning before how bad it would have been to leave the battery as is (what are the risks) once he told me i should i changed it straight away. i have heeded all advice given to me on this forum and i actually care about creating something safe for other people.

im sorry if it sounded different online (text isnt the same as talking to someone. but all points made above by all the gurus here were listened to and changed straight away.

thanks and im sorry if you misunderstood me

3 Likes

Donā€™t worry about being misunderstood. Mr ego and I had that for a bit. The thing is that as long as youā€™re learning and fixing your errors (add photos to show you are trying to do it rightly as they gave), then I donā€™t see it as ā€œIā€™ll do it my wayā€. Iā€™ll never understand why people would jump to that conclusion on a daily. Itā€™s probably something even I myself will never get.

Continue to learn from the best here.

1 Like

always do and will

i dont think i took any pictures once i changed it (as i went to finish off the balance wiring. but will see if i can get a pic out.

Looking forward to it. Also Iā€™ve noticed people jumped the gun:

ā€œah yeah sorry i misread above. i thought you meant to remove the solder joints.ā€

ā€œthanks man and i get you and will see about trying to remove. thank you again and whether i do or dont change this pack i will remeber it for next timeā€

You clearly realized what he meant.

1 Like

What? I can tell you donā€™t live in NYC. Because all of this stuff happens on a daily here, and Iā€™ll tell you this, it ainā€™t the ones who are riding their esk8 who are putting others in danger. Itā€™s others who are putting us as liability for literally getting in the way. Crossing the red signal when we have the green, dogs chasing our skateboards, pedestrians canā€™t look both ways before crossing from a parked cars (I had to hit the emergency swerve for this one), and cars driving over eachother just to get through the day.

I would reword this.

1 Like

Really happy to hear that youā€™re fixing it :slight_smile:

To me, it sounded like you had already decided ā€œI donā€™t really wanna spend time fixing it, so Iā€™ll probably just keep this pack how it is and do it different next timeā€, which I then took to the absolute extreme and concluded that you wouldnā€™t fix this pack.

Like you say, things usually sound different in person. Things are also very easy to be misunderstood when theyā€™re read by some stranger on the internet that youā€™ve never actually met.

Looking forward to pictures :smiley:

1 Like

For anyone who cares (or remembersā€¦since itā€™s been a bit over a week), M&A BD Electronics has received my return of the P42a cells (they got them on the 7th), and have neither refunded me yet nor replied to my emails.

So thatā€™s fun. I wonā€™t be ordering anything from them ever again. Went ahead and opened a PayPal case, I felt it was appropriate at this point.

Hooray.

9 Likes

pics coming soon

also when i said leave as is i meant about what he said with heating the cells (he said it may ruin them)

hard to sometimes understand what people are saying especially since i type in much shorter sentences then i would speak.

Sounds like a company I knowā€¦

1 Like

I prefer 5.5mm over 4 as they donā€™t tend to come out on their own.

That seller also ghosted me about returning my 200 sketchy cells, but the moment I filed a Alibaba claim they started talking againā€¦

3 Likes

I usually heatshrink them so they donā€™t fall out. I had the same issue.

1 Like

@legend27
the method i opted for was to add extra nickle on top (15mm wide nickel) to support the current
i attempted to take the nickel off on some practice cells but realized it wasnt a viable option for this time.
this way the current should be ok to transfer through (the nickel covers 5 out of the 6 cells)
all these issues will never occur again on future packs.
(looks messy in the picture but in person its fine and the welds are good. think its just the flux making it look like that)

1 Like

Gross. I hope it works out positively for you.

Just wishing to put this behind me. Iā€™ve learned a good amount from it, and this community, so Iā€™m doing things differently going forward.

2 Likes

Tbh, I would had soldered on the folded slab of the nickel. But thatā€™s me. You can genuinely tell itā€™s your first time.

1 Like