The battery builders club

I think release is the voltage at which the bms starts letting current through once it’s tripped protection.

So following the specs above, bms will cut off charge when any cell hits 4.2. It’ll stay locked out until that cell goes below 4.05.

1 Like

Please help me confirm that I’m not making a mistake. Tried balance charging only on my balance wires, but got the error below.

FWIW got the same error when trying to charge my Turnigy LiPo on only the balance wires, as a way of trying to verify.

3 Likes

you need to connect the main plus and minus wires as well :wink:

7 Likes

Really should’ve put this here by now, but y’all I’m really proud of my first pack haha.

8 Likes

Yeah thought so. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi guys. I have a 12s 4p battery. Îs ok to charge with this Power suplay.

my charger îs not arrived. IT takes a little longer . And i want to charge de board.

Generally no. At minimum you need a supply the limits current (The CC part of CC/CV). Otherwise the battery will request like infinite amps (determined by the resistance of the wires and the IR of the pack), and the psu will try to supply it, hopefully tripping overload protection or a circuit breaker and not catching fire :slight_smile:

EDIT I found out “limit current” can mean a protection circuit that shuts the PSU down when the current limit is hit. So there’s some semantics to deal with. If you see Constant Current it does what you want.

3 Likes

Dont forget your battery is 50.4v at full charge. Your charger can overcharge your pack

5 Likes

Some decent info on using drivers/power supplies for charging:

3 Likes

Thankyou for your info :slight_smile::slight_smile: @deucesdown @Flasher @KfromtheBay

2 Likes

We have a little problem. The balancer shows no voltages of p-groups.(The rest of balancer cables were connected via crocodile clips, not in the picture) But it shows the main voltage of pack, when it’s connected with the charge port.

The cabling might be wrong, looks quite strange? Why are there y-connections? Did it ever work before?

Did you check voltage of each pin on the JST connector? Always do this before hooking anything up.

You should also double check the order of the pins, maybe you’ve got it flipped?

Also, 10s should have 11 pins (to connect to a hobby charger).

I didn’t have a multimeter at a time.:sweat_smile:

Can this be used for building esk8 battery packs made of 30Qs?

1 Like

The fuse is rated to 3A cheap continuous which is not enough for our application typically

1 Like

I think they can be stacked and that’s what they recommend too to increase the amps.

Powerwall or big parallel groups are their example applications

2 Likes

I was looking at building a battery pack for a 2wd. Looking for a 10s (will building an 11 or 12 fry motors?) and adding as many parallel sets as possible to increase range. However, because I am looking to use a downhill/drop deck board I am nervous about the space between the bottom of the deck and the ground. Because it is turned up on the sides I was thinking why not try to make them into strips like so… any thoughts?

It might help that I am looking at this deck and these wheels.

You shouldn’t get clearance issues with 120mm wheels.