The battery builders club

New thread for battery pricing? :eyes:

1 Like

Cells aren’t supposed to be like stocks lol. Bulk didn’t raise prices one time in 2020, so these two price changes really surprise me. I figured it was import tax increase or something. If the trend keeps up not a bad idea to start one.

8 Likes

Is there an issue with the positive of the charge port being way longer then the negative of the charge port

No. Don’t forget a fuse.

2 Likes

yep fuse the posiitve right?
already got a 15amp fuse attached to that

also is it worth fusing the main discharge?
would need to be like a 500amp fuse though

1 Like

I don’t use a fuse on discharge. I trust my battery to melt my ESC and open the circuit before a thermal runaway

5 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself :joy: this is perfect

6 Likes

Given what little I can see at that resolution, it appears that the pack as a single nickel strip acting as the series connection. That’s a very poor design choice for several reasons, including but not limited to the following:

• nickel is not very flexible, especially when oriented vertically and lengthwise along the deck. Any miniscule amount of flex will lead to fatigue and failure.
  • Nickel is not very conductive, compared to copper or aluminum, for example. That low conductivity, combined with the fact that it’s one thin strip, means there will be significant voltage drop and heat generation if you try to pull 60 amps through it. It might even be enough to melt the heat shrink or cause a fire.

TLDR; no, I don’t think a pack of that design will/should be able to handle anything close to 60 amps continuous.

That is an accurate chart. Now you see why nobody on here uses nickel strip for the main series connections unless it’s super wide (0.15 * 60+mm).

1 Like

For a 12s8p P42A, would one layer of 30 x 0.2 mm nickel be sufficient in this configuration?

The cross sectional area is 161.3 * 0.2 = 32.26 mm^2 which should in theory do 200 amps continuous with ease. I think the bottleneck is the welds not the nickel.

2 Likes

I agree.

2 Likes

Does this mean the 5A for each individual welding spot or pairs?

Each pair is 10A, but you can do more than 8 welds on the positive terminal and usually 6 is fine. But if you have a lot of cells directing through different sheets I’d make sure to get more in

4 Likes

Well, for the given number (24 welds / 8 cells), that works out to three per cell, so I assume that’s pairs.

That’s worst case though. If it’s per weld instead of per pair, that would improve things to 240A.

edit - ninja’d. I think as long as you don’t go light on the welds (at least 3-4 pairs per end per cell), you should be fine.

2 Likes

@BruSkater, this is how to properly do a high current all-nickel series connection. Note just how much more cross section there is compared to a single 15mm strip.

I realize that this is for a brick rather than a plank pack configuration, which makes it much easier.
For a plank config, the best bet is to use copper wire or braid for the series connections. @ZachTetra has some great examples of the proper way to do it.

4 Likes

Hi has anyone bought their cells from https://www.bulkbattery.com/
Wanna make sure the cells are legit.

4 Likes

https://forum.esk8.news/search?q=bulkbattery

I was somehow the first person to post a link to their site on this forum

2 Likes

This is excellent advice. Please could you edit

to 65mm by 0.15mm incase someone else gets stumped by your workings out. Ta

1 Like

Well I feel like a fucking knob for paying for shipping all this time lol.

Bulk battery free shipping discount code coupon code bulkbattery

4 Likes

So these are legit as they only have 15 followers on IG and Jsut never heard of them in here before.

3 Likes

Yes they are totally legit. Great quality cells, great prices. My go to.

They are the wholesale site for https://www.18650batterystore.com/, if that makes anything clearer.

2 Likes